• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant propagation

Andir00

Does anyone propagate their own plants? Im planning on having a bit of a tank revamp and wondered if people have much success with propagation. We’ve got some javas, anubia, vallis in the tank currently and wondered if the effort of setting up and trying propagating would be worth it? I have a few propagation boxes which I use to propagate house plant so would use one of these for aquatic plants instead. If you do propagate your own, what do you grow/recommend I should try?
cheers - Andy

Hi all,
Does anyone propagate their own plants........ We’ve got some javas, anubia, vallis in the tank currently and wondered if the effort of setting up and trying propagating would be worth it?
Have a look at <"Andys HC propagator step by step">. Vallisneria spp. is an obligate aquatic plant, but tends to spread fairly quickly in the tank.

Java Fern (Microsporum pteropus) can be <"grown emersed">, but needs <"very humid conditions">. Because it grows <"new plants on older leaves"> these normally provide new plants.

Anubias barteri will grow a bit more quickly emersed, but it doesn't grow very quickly and you need to make sure that the cuttings are a reasonable size (at least three nodes).

Most "stem plants" will grow <"easily as cuttings emersed">, that is how they are <"produced commercially">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,

Vallisneria spp. is an obligate aquatic plant, but tends to spread fairly quickly in the tank.

Java Fern (Microsporum pteropus) can be grown emersed, but needs very humid conditions. Because it grows new plants on older leaves these normally provide new plants.

Anubias barteri will grow a bit more quickly emersed, but it doesn't grow very quickly and you need to make sure that the cuttings are a reasonable size (at least three nodes).

Most "stem plants" will grow easily as cuttings emersed, that is how they are produced commercially.

cheers Darrel
Cheers for that Darrel that’s some good advice. I think it’s something I’m going to try, even growing some new plants up. Hopefully give them the best chance when they go into the tank

Amazon swords will propagate quite readily as well under the right conditions.
dc832741f96e2198673784a2a450b90b.jpg

By my count, I have at least 15 swords that were grown from runners in my own tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,

The're on the flowering scapes, sometimes after the plant has flowered, but some times just as plantlets, rather than flowers. Have a look at @zozo (Marcel's) posts in the thread /www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/does-anyone-have-experience-growing-echinodorus-small-bear-and-echinodorus-yellow-sun.57880/#post-565019']Does anyone have experience growing, Echinodorus 'Small bear' and Echinodorus 'Yellow Sun'[/URL]">

View attachment 214577

Echinodorus "bleheri" (which maybe @Le duke 's plant?) needs /www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/advice-on-echinodorus-wabi-kusa.60892/#post-606389']very humid conditions[/URL]"> to grow the plants on in.

cheers Darrel

My Echinodorus varieties all grow their offspring below the surface. I’ve tried extending the shoots/runners above the surface but never had flowers. Way too dry. Never had luck with any emersed growth, either.

I live at 6,500ft/2000m and the humidity in the room my tank is in is rarely above 40%. Cacti grow in the park next to my neighborhood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,

The're on the flowering scapes, sometimes after the plant has flowered, but some times just as plantlets, rather than flowers. Have a look at @zozo (Marcel's) posts in the thread <"Does anyone have experience growing, Echinodorus 'Small bear' and Echinodorus 'Yellow Sun'">

View attachment 214577

Echinodorus "bleheri" (which maybe @Le duke 's plant?) needs <"very humid conditions"> to grow the plants on in.

cheers Darre

Hi all,

The're on the flowering scapes, sometimes after the plant has flowered, but some times just as plantlets, rather than flowers. Have a look at @zozo (Marcel's) posts in the thread <"Does anyone have experience growing, Echinodorus 'Small bear' and Echinodorus 'Yellow Sun'">

View attachment 214577

Echinodorus "bleheri" (which maybe @Le duke 's plant?) needs <"very humid conditions"> to grow the plants on in.

cheers Darrel
That’s so impressive…I’ll go check them out

Back