• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant Suggestions for Hardscape 90 X 45 X 60

jaHko

Hi guys!

I'm a bit lost on what plants to go with. I want to do a Iwagumi with carpeting plant and maybe one or two mid ground height plants. However, doing that with my tall tank leaves a lot of open space ( negative space can be a good thing) . I am open to go with taller plants but this might mess up my hardscape.

Any ideas on what plants to go for? Comments on hardscape welcome!

704fad8d236a6eae55c06b7e5d325fa4.jpg

9c3dd4a8eb4ea04ffbcd77fcf481312a.jpg

Sent from Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

Two species of hairgrass could work well here mini in the foreground. Personally looking at the hardscape it doesn't appear to have "a parent stone".The stone on the left looks a little out of place,could look different planted in of course. HAve a look at the hardscape contest enteries posted by George Farmer, just my opinion nice stone though

I totally agree with you - I have been struggling to get the left side where I wanted it to be. Wanted to add more rocks - went to my LFS today but they didn't have any more of the rocks left. So I guess it will have to be done by the plants ....

Added more soil but essentially still the same....
1089357e50739a4c9a0bc35b33fa0c1e.jpg

I'd move that large rock on the left to the back, bringing the two stones behind it, in the same position except just in front of it. Would give you added dimension in my opinion

That is actually a very good idea but at this stage with powder put down, slopes manicured I am afraid I will anger the hardscape gods if I move things around and they will leave me with a messy mixture of substrates to try and clean up

So I went ahead and messed it all up. Moved the big stone back - problem is - it can't go that far back due to its broad base. Haven't put down the powder yet ( had to put a boatload through a sieve)
b9a23b23db9ba198296e88e0a73957ba.jpg
2d674174b935cdb8af580da231f002bb.jpg
dc38fb0bc71029e3b204ce91d14c979b.jpg

Sometimes less is more. If you have say one stone with character bigger than any others then another slightly smaller and another slightly smaller again and arrange these three till you find something looking ,bear in mind the plants to come, pleasing then add something smaller again,but do not be tempted to over do it better leave some out.Again just my opinion the one on the left looks a little to straight edged.try leaving out altogether maybe? George Farmer as one set up titled I think? The Scree take a look

There are basically three ways I can place the pointy rock. Here is another less pointy placement

585f62dab12fb5c1ab7477b3b23f4760.jpg

c7891980e7809b7a9c4786eaf89a9d00.jpg

And another ( still pointy but less so - more character in the stone at the pointy bit. The first place pointy bit is actually now on the ground in front - belly up)

3a2e24aeabf0f70ed287d4f3386ec559.jpg
109ebdf801ee9b762f2291c462faed5a.jpg

My understanding of Iwagumi is a main stone + supporting stones - except it's your tank so really it can be anything you like :D

but as this is playing with hardscape stage, why not try a main feature stone (which can actually be comprised of multiple stones "fit" together) and 3-4 supporting stones (not so prominent that they compete with the main stone as focal points) ... use stones/additional stones to support areas of elevated/sloped substrate

You can also use "support media" to elevate areas (especially given tank height) - look at the use of "pumice bags" in Stu Worrall's Apalala Shore

Outstanding tank cabinet that you built :clap:

Iwagumi with carpeting plant and maybe one or two mid ground height plants.
Back on topic ;)
Choice in carpet plant depends on how much maintenance you want to do & what sort of plants you like - if the tank is 60cm height, then you might consider a slightly taller or larger leafed carpet plant
eg, Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo' rather than Hemianthus callitrichoides
or you might use mixed grasses Littorella uniflora, Lilaeopsis brasiliensis, L mauritiana, Sagittaria subulata, Echinodorus tenellus, Eleocharis acicularis 'mini', Eleocharis parvula, Vallisneria nana (listed in no particular order or height/size)

Do you have a short list of fish species (or perhaps shrimp only)?

Back