• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant Suggestions

GotCrabs

Hi all, had decided to give away tanks for a little due to personal reasons and recently thought about putting together a small Dutch aquarium.

Tank is an frameless Aqua One Horizon, 15l, 25cm x 23cm x 20cm off the top of my head.

A small tank I know, but figured a small planted Dutch would be really nice as a display piece and seeing this would be the first time I've looked into Dutch, would be a good start.

This would be a display piece only, as I'm not too interested in having fish in there, if anything, I'll have a group of Red Cherry Shrimp as a form of live stock.

Would really like some suggestions on plants to use in this display, I'm not overly keen on Mosses, so that's out of the question, although am mainly interested in stem plants, no rhizomes.

I have a good amount of 'Monte Carlo' at the moment which will be used in the foreground, other plants I am looking to purchase are the following:

Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini'
Hydrocotyle tripartita Japan
Micranthemum umbrosum
Limnophila repens 'Mini'
Limnophila sp. Mini Vietnam
Limnophila sp. Wavy
Lindernia rotundifolia 'Variegated'
Ludwigia arcuata
Myriophyllum mattogrossense
Pogostemon stellatus 'Narrow Leaf'
Rotala macrandra
Rotala rotundifolia
Rotala sp. Colorata
Rotala wallichii
Syngonathus sp. Belem
Tonina fluviatilis

Quit a list I know, but they are some of the plants I'm interest in using, obviously won't be ordering all as I won't have the room to use them.

Would appreciate some feedback on which to use, where to place.

Am thinking of running this tank unfiltered as there won't be any live stock, unless Shrimp are in, more than likely no CO2 as well, light I'm thinking of using would be over kill I think but have it on hand at the moment is a Ista 60cm White LED, quite nice actually, will obviously need to find a fert that would provide all needs, also not looking into using heating either as the tank will be indoors and in a warmer part of the home as it would be used as a display piece, perhaps a small air pump to provide movement, substrate is going to be ADA Amazonia Normal.

All feedback, suggestions would be welcome and great, thanks.

If you are not going to give any added CO2, a lot of your plants are excluded. The high light may give problems for this reason, too.
Myr. matt. will grow too big too fast.
Aestetically you should consider looking into plants with very small leaves, for such a small tank.
- it can be done. Not an easy task, though........and you should really consider adfing CO2, since this will expand the list of plants to choose from.

Thanks Mick, I'll be getting the plants through an online site here in Australia (www.z-aquatics.com.au), if you could, if you want, or anyone else wants too, flick through the list of foreground and middle plants and give some suggestions please.

CO2 could be added through liquids if need be as well.

Actually completely forgot about liquid CO2.

Been up all night, just turned 6 am here, looking and reading a little.

What about the following in a 15l nano.

Hydrocotyle 'Mini'
Limnophila sp. Mini Vietnam
Micranthemum umbrosum
Limnophila repens 'Mini'
Lindernia rotundifolia 'Variegated' (2 or 3 stems)
Ludwigia arcuata
Rotala sp. Colorata
Rotala wallichii (Read it's a rather demanding plant though)
Syngonathus sp. Madeira (Kept trimmed)
Rotala nanjenshan
Rotala sp. Mini Butterfly
Bacopa sp. Japan
Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini' (MAYBE)

Thoughts? Obviously not all of those named above would be able to fit in there.

Use liquid CO2?

All suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated, feel free to suggest a number of plants to use as well.

Might even look into a small CO2 set up as well.

Cheers Tim, appreciate it.

Might just add a some internal filter, only because I already have one sitting here not being used.

Will use liquid CO2.

Just ordered Alternanthera reineckii 'mini', Rotala sp. Mini Butterfly, Micranthemum umbrosum, Hemianthus glomeratus micranthemoides, Limnophila sp Mini 'Vietnam', Bacopa sp. Japan, Limnophila repens mini, Lindernia rotundifolia 'Variegated', Hydrocotyle tripartita Japan.

Ar 'mini' I'm thinking 2 or 3 stems planted, Rotala mini 4 or 5 stems, MU a bunch, HGM a bunch, Limno a bunch, Bacopa a bunch, Limno repens a small bunch, Linder a couple stems, Hydro a small bunch, I have a nice a mount of 'Monte Carlo' to plant as well up front next to the Hydro and Ar 'mini'.

I have a Ista 60cm LED to use until I can find something smaller, possibly a clip on LED.

PLANS PUT ON HOLD!

Have had to cancel the order for the plants, tank is now potentially a Mr Aqua 12g 90cm x 20cm x 24cm, 45l.

So once that's ready to go, will either run with a 'Monte Carlo' Iwagumi or a Dutch scape.

I have absolutely no idea what I want to do with these tanks... no idea at all.

Since you don't plan on co2, I would highly recommend the smaller varieties of anubias, they can look spectacular in smaller set-ups. Also its probably kind of debatable, but I'm slowly growing out monte carlo and dwarf hairgrass in a no co2/no liquid carbon tank; under 9w lights. With 50% changes a week and liquid ferts, so it's doable.

Back