• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant trimming

Sk3lly

Hello guys another plant trimming question if you will.

If i trim a DHG carpet short will it eventually stay short or will it always need fortnightly trims?? Also is there a way to avoid browning tips after trimming.

Some peoples dwarf hairgrass carpets looks lovely and short and all perfectly green

Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might be confusing other peoples 'DHG' for another shorter species. I'm not a believer that trimming grass makes it grow quicker, if anything I've seen it slow down.

Hi there!

DHG will grow after some weeks to its naturally size. Frequently trimming doesn't affect the speed or size of its growth, but in my opinion its getting denser.

Its fully spread and very dense already. This is not the issue.

I guess it cannot be trained to stay low so i guess frequent cutting it is. Damn stuff is a PITA!!

Thanks Iain for that idea. I hadnt thought about it being bad scissors.

Best i managed to trim it
433c9232d94a1cfd50e576b251bc584f.jpg

you do get a few yellow stray leaves from time to time, if its just a few dont worry. Personally i always cut right down to substrate as it can clog up quite easy and then stag horn and thread algae can crop up. Only takes a week or two to recover.
good pair of wave scissors is what you need :)

Back