Planted tank maintenance

Discussion in 'General Planted Tank Discussions' started by tennis4you, 27 Sep 2008.

1. tennis4you

tennis4you Member

How do you guys clean your tanks when they are stock full of plants? I am always afraid I will uproot the stem plants. And how often do you clean your tank? Before I started planting the tank I was cleaning 1/3 of the gravel each week. But now I am far less and wondering if that is bad.

2. sari

sari Member

Very very carefully... If you have a reasonable amount of rosette plants amongst the stems, they should use a lot of the waste as ferts. I tend to use planting stick or equivalent to disturb the surface and simultaneously gently siphon out the rising detritus. BTW I have quartz gravel on top of substrate so nutrients aren't released into the water.

3. tennis4you

tennis4you Member

I have SMS so it is easy to stir around if you are not careful. It seems to be very light weight.

Thanks for the feedback!

4. GreenNeedle

GreenNeedle Member

I don't disturb the substrate (playsand on top of clay based tropica.)

I just syphon the front section ½inch above the substrate and it pulls up all the poop. I leave what is not in immediate view.

AC

5. altaaffe

altaaffe Member

Same here, I also tend to wave the vac around above the short plants but get in amongst the stem plants now & again to get any dead leaves, etc.