• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Planting Advice for a 20l cube

Lewisr

I have just set up my Aquael Shrimp set 20l and filled it with Fluval Plant stratum, Eventually I will move my cherries here but first I want to get it planted and be sure there is no ammonia spike.

Lighting is the 11W light provided and filter is a 400l/h!!

I will be dosing TPN+ and EasyCarbo.

I am wondering what sort of plants I should be looking at, I know there is not a great deal of room but I would like a nice carpet that the shrimp can enjoy but also something a bit taller at the back to give the tank a bit more depth... Any advice?

Lewis

Get some nice moss in there, java moss/willow moss ect, for a carpet you could use ricca attatched to slate or something, maybe some Dwarf hair grass at the back or if you wanted something taller hair grass.

I thought about moss but used it in my last tank to quite good effect, but found it too messy overall

Tie it down with some fishing line or glue it on, shrimps love it.

Going to second that for moss carpet, nice bit of hair grass, to add some Taller plants I'd go for needle fern, or narrow fern.

Where did you get you hold of the tank?

seapets local to me sell them, also kesgrave in ipswich sell them on ebay

nayr88 said:
Where did you get you hold of the tank?

If you live near edinburgh,Pets @ home in sighthill has 25L tanks with a filter/spray bar for £29

Im concerned about the growth rate of moss without injected co2. I really would use something other than java moss also.

Interesting, If I do go with moss I will also use some bogwood to attach it too. Shame the shops are shut till next week now

Why not spend a little bit a really smart bit of sand/gravel. ADA do some really cool ones, the have some larger rocks and a nice bit of wood decorated with moss.

I think having a full moss carpet without any co2 could be a bit pants, it never looks any where near as good as it does with co2.

Sand! Mossy wood! And crypts. :)

I have ordered a few types of mosses and will see how I get on with those... Will build a couple mounds of lava rock in each far corner and attach the mosses to those.Then try to build a valley in the middle with a carpet of..... Riccia! :D

Thanks for your help so far guys.

Lewis

Yeah!! Riccia! Forgot that one haha.

Lava rock is good moss rock :) I've be tempted to try the amano technique I saw the other week. Dice the moss extreme fine and smear onto the rock.

If I can find the video ill re post here mate.

Where are you ordering the moss from?

Ebay mate, I ordered some weeping moss (unsure about using this after further reading), star moss and flame moss. I also ordered a load of "Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae" before realising it will dwarf everything in the tank. (Damn my impulse buying!...Will be on sale here soon if anyone wants it.)

Would love to see that vid if you do find it, although when i used java moss previously I got on fine with just some fishing line.

Going to the garden center tomorrow to buy the lava rock and also some slate to tie the riccia to. The riccia was from a UK seller so should turn up first with any luck.

This will be my 6th attempt at a tank so fingers crossed!

Lewis

Star moss is not a true aquatic plant and will only survive upto 3 months in a high tech tank, also i remember reading somewere that lava rock will change your pH, not sure if it was up or down.

Proper lava rock should be inert or so I have read. Interesting about the star moss will see how it goes, thanks for the info :)

Lewis

If you don't fancy using it, someone (even me) May be up for buying it for an emmersed set up.

Ill check out the other plant you said will be to big haha.
Yeh fishing line works well. Ill look for the videos tomorrow mate

Cheers.

Back