• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Planting densities

D1gg3r

Can anyone give any indication of how big an area a single pot of the most common carpeting plants will cover? I haven't decided yet on my plant choices for my tank, but am planning to have a foreground carpet of some sort and wondered how many pots I may have to order. Thanks in advance.

Pots normally have a 5 cm diameter and the carpeting plants will normally be around 5 cm in diameter. Then, it is up to you regarding into how many sections you want to split each pot. I am very lazy, so I generally split the pot into about 4 for ease of planting. I have seen some people split it into individual plants and plant with tweezers. In the first case, I would plant each 1/4 of the pot about 5 cm apart, in the latter case I would expect to see each individual plant about 5-15 mm apart, depending on the species. The lazy way usually takes longer to look like a natural carpet, the time consuming way usually takes less time to look pretty awesome… unless your fish love pulling up the carpet-to-be, as mine do.

Back