• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Planting with full tank of water

Hooky

I know most of you plant new setups before filling the tank, but my plant order has been delayed. So was thinking of filling it and running the filter / heater to start the cycling process. Is this a good idea or should i just wait for my plants first.

No expert but if it was me I'd get the filter up & running, you can always drop a little water, water change, when the plants arrive.

I did the same.

Some say it's best to run the aquarium for a few weeks before planting, some say it's best to plant right away... I've done both and didn't really see a major difference.

I just like to plant right away because it's easier.

Planting with a empty tank is just a little easier than trying to get a buoyant plant into the substrate sometimes... in my opinion anyway... I've done both methods and both works :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd go with getting the tank going.... few ghost feedings, and if you have another tank get some filter medium out and rinse it in the new tank to get the biological process on the way to cycling.

Personally, I prefer planting immersed. The plants have a little buoyancy that helps with getting the look and placement just right.

Back