• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants Browning

mooregary24

Hi Guys
I have a 120 litre tank which is quite heavily planted. I am getting a slight browning on most of my plants which i cannot seem to clear. My plants are growing very well and i am trimming them every couple of weeks and replanting.

I am using CO2 injection and my drop checker is green. Also i am dosing ferrpol 24, easy carbo daily and a weekly dose of easylife profito. I would like my plants to be nice and green instead of having the brownish colour to them.Any help would be appreciated.
Gary

Gary

The browning is diatoms which is usually found in new set ups - assuming you have a new set up as this is your first posting - oh forgot welcome to the forum :thumbup: . The diatoms will disappear in time, if you want it to go quicker, buy some little otto's - they love to eat diatoms.

Regards
paul.

Paul

Thanks for the reply. My tank is mature but have not had much luck with my plants. I am starting to get there with my plants but still i think there is something missing. Do you still think it is diatoms in a mature tank.

Cheers Gary

Paul
I am sure now thats what it is. The picture is very similar to the browning on my plants. Do you think i may be lacking in something or do i need to get some ottos to control this.

Cheers Gary

Gary

Ferropol is a trace mix - does not contain any Nitrogen, potassium and phosphates and profito is the same a trace mix. It would be advisable to be adding some nitrogen, potassium and phosphates - added daily. Easy life do a ready mix solution or if you fancy it - have a crack at E.I dosing, by adding these will improve the growth rate and give the plants what they require.

Also attached is an article on the otto's.
http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_oto.php

Regards
Paul.

Thanks for the advice. Think i'll try some ottos and shop for some different ferts.

Gary

Back