• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants for non-Co2 low tech

DHenry

Hello,

I am planning a redcaps of my fathers tank. It needs to be very low maintenance and therefore no Co2. The tank is 190l. I am keeping the light low with a single 25w bulb running the length. I plan to use soil and cap it with tesco cat litter maybe. I would like dome recommendations on plants with low Co2 demands. I would like to plant it quits heavily, maybe a jungle style. Thanks.

Hi all,
The tank is 190l. I am keeping the light low with a single 25w bulb running the length.
That could be very low light, what is the bulb? it may be possible if it is a HO T5, otherwise you almost certainly won't provide enough PAR.
You could try just a floater, possibly Salvinia is the least light demanding.

I would like to plant it quits heavily, maybe a jungle style
I think this is a non-starter. The plants with the lowest photosynthetic compensation points are characterised by dark green colouring (they contain a lot of chlorophyll) and very slow growth. I'd try Anubias spp. and mosses planted well up in the tank on the wood/rock-work and directly under the light. I'm not sure you have enough light even for these.

cheers Darrel

I can up the lighting if required but I thought it would be best to start with lower light and a nutritious base. I can always increase light to the optimum but in order to avoid algae I'd like to start fairly low. I will double check though as this was second hand information. It may be that there are 2 x 25watts in there. Next time I am over at there house I will look and find out. Cheers.

Back