• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

plants have started going brown help please!

Whitey89 said:
ceg4048 said:
rehman73 said:
The issue with the drop checker has been sorted now and the eleocharis is growing nicely but what is this difficiency with my hc?

20120718342.jpg

Shot at 2012-07-18
This is image is a symptom of poor CO2 at the substrate level. The mechanism of failure is photoinhibition and internal radiation poisoning due to too much light. The plant is starving to death because of an inability to produce carbohydrates.

Reduce the light intensity, increase CO2 injection rate or add liquid carbon and improve your flow/distribution to the substrate.

Cheers,

See, completely wrong end of scale.
Thats why he is the man.

I did kind of barge in without checking specs properly and mentioned that because EboEagles I believe had issues in the very corners of the edge.

Now you know the answer, I expect a full grown carpet by the weekend.

:lol:
I wish :lol:

rehman73 said:
Thanks Clive,i can increase the c02 and flow but if i reduce light intensity then i will get dark spots in the tank also the hc that is under higher light is doing well so im just a little confused here.
The way to think about it is that the HC that is doing well has better access to CO2/flow/distribution than the HC that is not doing well.

I guess I'm unsure about what your tank configuration is. I don't think I can find anywhere in the thread what your lighting specifications are listed, and in your original post it is stated that this is a 6 gallon tank. You also mention using (or intent to use) a 200 gallon per hour filter or pump. It's all a bit confusing to me, but the HC shown in the photograph is definitely not confused. It is suffering from too much light and not enough CO2 for the amount of light being provided. That combination of environmental stress is the only combination that causes browning and melting.

Cheers,

Clive my light spec is fluval edge 5watt led bar,2x 2watt led for back corners of the tank(1 on each side) and a 9 watt pl light at the front in total 18watt.iv increased the co2 with a higher dose of easy carbo and also ive increased the filter flow the plants are swaying more. the hc is pearling now also iv noticed the co2 micro bubbles are getting down to the hc.thanks

OK, thanks for that info. Yeah that's too much light for the tank startup, unless you inject mega quantities of CO2. I would have just turned on the stock lighting only for the first month or so. Frying the carpet plants with photon torpedo bombardment is a favorite hobby of the Megawatt-Loving-Klingons. It looks like they got to you before we were able to disrupt your input/output signal.

Scroll down to the middle of the page to see a video of our our intrepid warrior G.Farmer demonstrate aquascaping of the larger version of the Edge==> http://www.fluvalblog.com/new-fluval-edge-range/

Cheers,

Back