• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

plants on bogwood

chops0

Seedling
I want to have some plants growing on Java/Sumatra wood 'branches' in a new aquarium I will be setting up soon. I Know about Java fern (Micorsorium pteropus) from Asia and Anubias barteri from Africa however I am going to be setting up a biotope aquarium for South American fish and wonder if there are any plants from South America which grow attached to wood in the same way, and that are fairly readily available in the UK? As the aquarium will have a 6" airspace between the top of the water and the cover glass, with the background used as part of the filtration system (filled with Eheim Substrat pro), I would also like something from that part of the world that is small enough and would grow in an emersed state. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Many thanks
Phil

Moss, you may not be able to kind the same moss that is in south america but you can proberly used java moss or christmas moss. Try the green machine or you lfs

You can search tropicas plant catalogs via region that will give you a good idea. Most echinodurus will grow emerse or at least have emerese forms. This is the problem with Biotopes as I see it, to be entirely correct you often have to forgo plants that would complete the aquascape aesthetically simply because a specie that could take it's place is unavailable. I doubt the fish would notice they're not from the area, and you can always claim they're introduced in the area you're replicating like that Austrain stream with the wild crypts and vallis in it.

Hi all,
I would also like something from that part of the world that is small enough and would grow in an emersed state. Any suggestions would be gratefully received
I'd try a a small bromeliad, "leaf" cactus or orchid for the branches. They are naturally epiphytes, and there is a huge range from S. America.

Cacti - you will need a small amount of moss or similar to wrap around the root when you tie these on.
Schlumbergera (Christmas Cactus or Zygocactus), Rhipsalidopsis (Easter Cacti) or Rhipsalis (Mistletoe cactus).
This is Rhipsalis mesembryanthemoides, I've got a plant and it is very low maintenance.
r_mesembryanthemoides_600.jpg

Bromeliads
The genus Tillandsia (Air plants) is probably your best bet, anything from T. usenoides (Spanish moss) upwards. This is Tillandsia recurvata.
LCP93.JPG
& this is T. cyanea.
Tillandsia.cyanea.jpg

Orchids - again a wide choice. Probably best would be an Epidendrum or Dendrobium sp., although you could try any of the Cambria/Odontoglossum etc. cultivars you can get at any Garden Centre. Epidendrum radicans and cultivars likes fairly moist conditions and Dendrobium kingianum fairly dry, so one or the other may well do. I'd probably try a few reduced in price ones (after they've flowered) from a Garden Centre for starters. The only ones not suitable are the big cane like Vandas, the Cymbidiums and possibly the Phalaenopsis cultivars (they don't like bright light).

E. radicans
Epidendrum%20Radicans.JPG

D. kingianum
IMG0064.jpg

See how you get on finding these, and if you don't have any success I'll see what I can find for you.

cheers Darrel

From what I see, most stem plants with good enough ferts on the water column grow on wood. :)

I got Staurogyne, mosses, Rotalas and Lileaopsis growing on wood and some emmersed on the tank, attached to plastic net.

See this:
4713253494_db620f5fa7_b.jpg

4713250462_316470dfb0_b.jpg

Back