• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants without a heater and CO2?

owenprescott

Long story short I now have a small tank to set up. I have added a substrate and some hard scape, all that is left is some plants :D. I have noticed most sellers online sell plants as tropical though my tank does not have a heater or CO2. So what Plants if any can I use that will cope with uk room temp? I should add that I am mainly looking for carpet plants and perhaps a large background plant to hide the internal filter.

Hi mate,
Thanks for clarification. No, I would not say ideal at all if we are talking about tropical plants. Higher temperatures generate higher metabolism and higher growth rates, however the region 20-23 deg.C will work OK. Cooler temperature tend to suppress algal growth and the solubility of CO2 and O2 is better. Barr mentions that there is generally a twofold metabolic increase for every 10 deg.C increase. So the metabolic rate at 30.C is twice as high as at 20.C As with many other factors, performance will be species dependent, however anywhere between 20.C to 30.C is fine.

Plants that thrive in temperate zones have their system of enzymes which are better adapted and catalyze metabolic reactions at lower temperatures.

Cheers,

Thanks everyone, I have a load of various plants in my tank now and time will tell how well they do. I will be putting up a general very soon once I have uploaded the videos etc. :)

Back