• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

*POLL* How long do you think a T5 tube will last?

What would be the life span of T5 tubes when run for 8 hrs a day?

• 6 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10 months

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • 14 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 18 months

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • 18+ months

Votes: 15 83.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This has been discussed before & generally folk tend to change every year however it is believed by many, that they last for "many years" before any noticeable drop off in light!
At one time when T8s were more popular it was recommended to change them every six months but this does not seem to apply to T5s.
Anyway I change mine every year...

Hi all,
For as long as it turns on...
They don't need changing, they just fail, usually when the cathode wears out (due to electron bombardment). T5 lamps are electronically ballasted and show hardly any lamp lumen depreciation (loss of brightness), and the tri-phosphor lamps don't suffer much from phosphor depletion. You can easily get 2 or 3 years from a lamp, and with one switch on/off in any 24 hour period, live could be a lot longer, particularly if you have a 14W lamp on a 14 - 24W rated ballast etc.

Linear T5's should last longer than CFL lamps (basically twistedT5 tubes with internal control gear)

cheers Darrel

Furthermore, if growth has slowed in your tank there is only a 0.00001% chance that it has anything to do with light and instead, there is a 99.99999% chance that it has to do with CO2/flow/distribution.

Cheers,

I saw in PFK this month it had a "top tip" to replace tubes every 12 months to "significantly increase the lighting over your aquarium" page 47... Seems there are still conflicting opinions on the issue of replacing tubes.

Yeah yeah replace your tubes blah blah blah. I've had mine for 2 years and the plants are still doing great.

skeletonw00t said:
I saw in PFK this month it had a "top tip" to replace tubes every 12 months to "significantly increase the lighting over your aquarium" page 47... Seems there are still conflicting opinions on the issue of replacing tubes.
As the author of that article allow me to explain.

That specific tip was in reference to a recent experience regarding an aquarium makeover.

The client had 4 x T8 fluorescents over their Juwel Trigon 350. I believe the Juwel ballasts are electronic, even the old T8 type.

The bulbs were old, at least 18 months. 2 x Hagen Power-Glo, 2 x Life-Glo.

I tested the PAR at the substrate using an Apogee meter.

With the old tubes it was less that 10umol in the corner.

With the new tubes it was over 20umol. Same brand and model type.

So as you can see that's over 100% increase in light by swapping old for new tubes. There was some hard water deposits on the old tubes but not a significant amount.

I can't comment on whether this applies to T5 and have every faith in Darrel's comments.

George Farmer said:
skeletonw00t said:
As the author of that article allow me to explain.

That specific tip was in reference to a recent experience regarding an aquarium makeover.

The client had 4 x T8 fluorescents over their Juwel Trigon 350. I believe the Juwel ballasts are electronic, even the old T8 type.

The bulbs were old, at least 18 months. 2 x Hagen Power-Glo, 2 x Life-Glo.

I tested the PAR at the substrate using an Apogee meter.

With the old tubes it was less that 10umol in the corner.

With the new tubes it was over 20umol. Same brand and model type.

So as you can see that's over 100% increase in light by swapping old for new tubes. There was some hard water deposits on the old tubes but not a significant amount.

I can't comment on whether this applies to T5 and have every faith in Darrel's comments.

I see George - I get you! I think i misunderstood it really.

So basically - changing the bulbs will increase light & make a visible difference. BUT it wont improve a tank that is already struggling due to a co2/nutrient difficiency.

Hi all,
Most T5's should have better LLD than most T8's, but there are factors other than diameter. George's figures are very interesting, I'm not familiar with either the Juwel fluorescent tubes or Hagen fitting, but that would strongly suggest that either it is an older style ballast and/or using halophosphate fluorescent tubes.

The combination of high frequency electronic ballasts and T5 triphosphor tubes should lead to a lamp life of over 20,000 hours, with very high lamp lumen maintenance.

13.jpg

Image and quote are from http://www.lif.co.uk/lamp-guide/discharge-lamps.html#tubular-lamps
The life of a fluorescent lamp is measured in a number of different ways. Two measures tend to be employed: mortality (i.e. the number of operating hours elapsed before a certain percentage of the lamps fail) and lumen output (i.e. the depreciation of the lumen output over time). Both sets of data are useful measures. The rated life of tubular fluorescent lamps can range from 6,000 hours up to 60,000 hours, or more, depending on lamp type and control gear.

They can have a lifetime of up to 23,000 hours for normal T5 lamps (90% service lifetime at 12 hr switching cycle). Special long life lamps also exist where the life time is up to 68,000 hours with the same energy efficiency. Halophosphate lamps have a lifetime of only 6,000 hrs and are soon to be discontinued under the EuP Directive. All tri-phosphor lamps have a high CRI (typically >80) and are also 20-30% more efficient than halo-phosphor types with low CRIs. Better energy saving can be achieved when the lamps are operated on an electronic HF-ballast,

cheers Darrel

I have some that are about 3 years old now, they are close to those graphs, loss is roughly 8-10%, but perhaps I should wipe and clean the bulbs and the reflector a bit more before I compare the nice clean new ones vs the oldies? :thumbup:

Not joining the debate, as my honest answer is, no idea. lol

However thought George might find this useful info. My old lighting on my old (now retires) Juwel Rio 180 was the old T8 stuff, and it had magnetic ballasts, with 2 chokes hidden behind screw in plastic covers on the beam, so definitely not electronic ballasts on the old T8 beam I had at least.

Hope this is helpful in some small way.

Ade

Hi all
foxfish said:
They cost a couple of £ each & you can experiment with different colours too
Not if they're the Juwel 45W T5's with the oddball length. :crazy:
£15-£20 a pop. :wideyed: :wideyed: :wideyed:
I'll just keep using mine till they cease to function :lol: (3 years so far :D )
Then I'll rip them out and fit an el cheapo T5 ballast from lamp specs. It means moving the lamp holders because of their stupid length, but hey ho, I can then get the tubes for £3-£4 a go :D

We have actually tested this. And result is that after 4years the tubes weares out (for plant use anyways), the guy that tested suddenly had problems with plant growth and algaes. He did nothing but changed the tubes. Month after algaes gone and plant growth was back to normal.. His t5 tubes was 4 and a half year old. This is with 9 hours of light pr day. T8 is another story.. prolly 7-10 months and they should be replaced.

Will heat have a detrimental effect on the life of the bulb? Very interested to see the potential life of these bulbs - much longer then I originally thought :)

i will be running 2 marine white bulbs that are over a year old so will let you know

Back