• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pond for the inlaws.

kirk

Hi all, my inlaws moved house recently ( down sized to a bungalow) and have let me loose on their garden.:) anyway here's a few pics of the garden after a week of clearing.
tabubape.jpg
It was a bit of a nightmare as this work was done during the high winds and rain. Yes I know I will get to the pond soon.:D.
emahu5yg.jpg
shed moved new fence. Four weeks ago they left for spain the last pic I sent them was this......
yga4u5yv.jpg
. :D has been a busy weekend hence the peace you've all had from me not being on
3y8a8ade.jpg
ytajeman.jpg
edegy9a5.jpg
here. Back home making a filter from a flower pot.
zy7yryza.jpg
5araveqe.jpg
u4y2utys.jpg
so they returned from Spain midnight Last night to this......
a6a7aqur.jpg
uhu4asym.jpg
u6udedy8.jpg
y8a6e6e7.jpg
hope you injoyed the pics. I'll put some more up when ponds cleared up and fishes are in. Thanks all.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Thanks mate,, that one will be shunted over eventually, pond ended up bigger than anticipated.:D. do you recomend a lid for the homemade filter to keep the sun off? Most ponds I've built have been pressurised so sealed and uv.

Last edited:
Hi all,
Very nice.
do you recomend a lid for the homemade filter to keep the sun on? Most ponds I've built have been pressurised so sealed and uv.
I don't think it will matter either way in terms of biological filtration, but if it doesn't have a lid it will grow algae, and that may block up the pump.

cheers Darrel

Thankyou,That was my thoughts ( algae), it will get a bit of sun where it is,, all ideas for a tastefully lid are welcome :)

Could you use a clay plant tray/saucer turned upside down? You can get coloured ones, or paint it yourself.

A brilliant idea I came across the other day was painting outside pots with glow in the dark paint. A bit random but thought I share as I thought it was such a good idea :D

Garden, and pond look really good BTW - a real transformation!!

Viv

Yes Viv that would work., that's got me thinking, drill some holes in it then put moss on the top. Put some knotted fabrics through holes to act like straws to feed the moss. I may look into the glow in the dark paint to out line the wings of a metal draggon fly I'm going to make For by the pond.

Hi all,
all ideas for a tastefully lid are welcome
It is a bit of a left-field suggestion, but you could just have a layer of floating hydroleca or similar (wine corks)?

The advantage of this is that it should reduce the algae, but not impede the growth of the emergent plant.

I'd definitely keep the plant.

cheers Darrel

Darrel, it's an idea.......and I like it.

Yes I've read that an absolutely beautiful pond., I've been dosing our ponds at home with ei since. Perhaps I should add that in the bottom of the pot is sliced kitchen waste pipe, then a layer of filter foam then 2inches of akadama.

Sorry, but that pond looks far too small for fish, and the sides are too steep for it to be a wildlife pond, the filter also looks a tad on the small side. (also as said what are the sleepers coated with?)

I do however have a suggestion.

Change the sleepers to 2 rows of brick pavers, lower them into the ground so that they are almost flush, take the filter away add some plants and see what moves in.

Cheers Mike , All sleepers contain some nastys unfortunately as you are aware.,even the modern tantalised. these are pretty old and were a bridge over a stream for over twenty years before I purchased them. ( the bridge was dismantled as they were going soft in places, don't worry I know what I'm doing:D It's my third sleeper pond I've built never had a problem using lower grade sleepers .. they did still have that tar smell when I put the chainsaw through them.( only gold fish from the fair are going in and plant;):D

Yeah, have to agree with Martin. Will only be suitable for goldfish, ones that hardly grow lol.

Im a newbie to this planted tank lark, but ponds is one thing I do know! :D

Hopefully the sleepers don't cause problems. Also, the liner may cause problems with nasty bacteria hiding away..

Sorry, sure you know what you're doing. Just trying to add my pennies worth.

Sorry, but that pond looks far too small for fish, and the sides are too steep for it to be a wildlife pond, the filter also looks a tad on the small side. (also as said what are the sleepers coated with?)

I do however have a suggestion.

Change the sleepers to 2 rows of brick pavers, lower them into the ground so that they are almost flush, take the filter away add some plants and see what moves in.
struggling to find anythings in your post that's a compliment, the pond is 5ft X 4ft, and filled up its over my knees in the one corner, ...... I think it's big enough for fish........ Mate people put fish in a bowl dont they lol.

Last edited:
This pond is my own has had fish in for 8 years and has been down to minus twenty. All fish are fine also all the fish I own were rescued from tanks or bowls that were too small. I don't consider myself to be a pond expert but I'm not and idiot either.:D.
eqeqa6a7.jpg

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

People "put fish in a bowl" through ignorance.
People also think "fish grow to the size of the tank"

There is a lot more to keeping fish than most folk think.

Back