• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pond is dying. Why?

Kezzab

Hi, thoughts please on this one. My well established, heavily plant filled wildlife pond has just crashed into a stinky effluent smelling soup.

Is it likely to be the long spell of hot dry weather that's the cause? Warmer water, less oxygen, dying plant material, rot, bacteria bloom, oxygen drop further? Water level probably 3 inches below normal.

Any remedies? Air stone? Top up with a hose? Remove plan material? Pond vac?

Fill it in?

Thanks

K

Hi, here's some pics. It's gone from crystal clear and full of life to stinking like a sewer in the space of 2 weeks I'd say.
Appreciate any opinions.

Attachments

• 20230623_070315.jpg
    20230623_070315.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 93
  • 20230623_070227.jpg
    20230623_070227.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 109
  • 20230623_070128.jpg
    20230623_070128.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 96
  • 20230623_070111.jpg
    20230623_070111.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 94
I had the same in a tiny pond I have, the conclusion I have come to is, too much sun (Heats the water and evaporates it) so remaining water gets even hotter and more concentrated and plants roots become exposed, as they are exposed they get burnt. Only solution is to keep water topped up, unless anyone has another idea. (I had thought of an umbrella to give shade, but not practical.)

My little pond hasn't had this happen, despite being in almost full sun in a south facing garden. The only difference I can see between mine and yours is water movement. It's incredibly slow movement, a small pump that feeds a small stream back into the pond, but perhaps this tiny bit of movement is enough?

My wildlife pond is above ground as I'm moving it. The contents are in various tubs & buckets with a couple of inches of water & sludge left in the bottom of the pond itself. No algae, no smell, plants dumped in randomly with loose soil but still clear water. I expected blanket weed at the very least, so I'm really surprised everything has kept growing.
I did wonder with your pond if a bird or small animal had fallen in & drowned & the decomposing body had upset the balance?
The most straightforward thing to do would be some water changes with treated tap water & as others have said keep it topped up.
If there's any blanket weed or other gungy stuff you can remove, that would help any remaining plants start to grow again.

Thanks all, I'll try and top up. Actual water changing is highly impractical given ponds location.

My own theory I think is around oxygen levels. Some kind of crash as a result of the warmth.

I've also invested in a new, bigger, solar air pump to try and get some movement.

I will report!

Thanks again, still the best forum on the net.

K

If it has no filter and or no turnover at all... Then all is said above, you get a stagnant, hot oxygen-depleted stinky mess... The temperature isn't really the problem it is the lack of oxygen and turnover

If you have an air pump it would be better to make yourself a DIY air lift pump to create some extra turnover. That's more effective than an airstone only.

Quicky, there are many different designs that are easy to build. Google it and you'll find a lot of tutorials also in the aquarium hobby used in small sizes.

Something to think about for next summer. Air lift filter system for ponds and pretty effective.

Back