• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Pond on a slope

I didn't want to over emphasise them or to spend a lot of time, I used the clone tool to blend them in only to give the idea of a natural landscape.
Each step would naturally be at a strata change in real life.

31862837585_2eca4a3573_z.jpg

Must be too subtle for me to notice. :confused:

Also difficult to explain in words and it's a flat picture i'm looking at.. :) And just looks like a spot where it could occur.. I also didn't notice when building my waterfall only when it happened and saw the water fall on a displaced odd concave shaped stone and got ejected outside the waterfall and spill water on the soil where it drained away.. I corrected it and the day after a bunch of leaves from the chestnut tree from the neighbours garden fell into the waterfall. It redirected the route the water followed and it spilled water again somwhere else. These are indeed little subtle things you probably need to see to experience how unpredictable water can run. For me it was several times just seeing the ponds waterlevel go down over night to notice the waterfall was spilling it again at places i least expected. I often had this same reaction :confused: And it was just a small one.. So i experienced my first waterfall as a rather difficult project to build properly. :)

Best subtle example i can give to replicate what i mean is open the tap and let the water run onto a spoon and see how it gets ejected out of the sink.. Something like that. a few small rocks by accident placed the correct way can have simular effect if water falls on it. Or a leave from a tree a brooken off branch. etc etc.. :thumbup:

Hi Guys,

It's me again, can't believe where the time has gone. Anyway I thought you may like to see my progress from the pictures below. Really pleased with how it's all gone. The plants are coming along. Alot I had from cuttings and seeds as well as some I've bought. It's not like Alan Titchmarsh's programme where he just brings in 5k worth of plants! So there's still plenty of mud, while they grow :)

Even found my first newt last week! No frogs yet yet. Although 2 months ago I did come across two on the path ...they were in the throes of passion and didn't have the heart to interrupt them and throw 'em in the pond! :p

No leaks (finger's crossed) ...only issue has been some blanket weed. Did put a bag of barley straw in the pond but was away in the summer and when we got back, there it was. Have been pulling it out but if anyone has any advice that'd be great.

Have planted an acer which when it grows will provide more shade in time. All the other plants, apart from the colour scheme are there to attract wildlife. Getting plenty of butterflies so far ...Mother Nature approves :)

Garden2.jpg
Garden3.jpg
Garden4.jpg
Garden5.jpg
Garden6.jpg
Garden7.jpg
Garden9.jpg
Garden10.jpg

Garden1.jpg
Garden8.jpg

Its looking great, can't wait to see it fill out. As for blanket weed it comes to us all and when your aquatic plants take off and begin to use the nutrients in the pond as well as cover the surface more it will likely go. You could use some quick growing oxygenators to out compete it a little or pop in a water lily if you don't have one.

The pond is crystal clear any blanket weed I see in there I just hook out with a stick. The problem is the stream. After each ledge there is a small pool and from there the water runs over stones to the next. Its these stones and ledge that have the weed and green slime on. I've tried picking them up and washing them, turning up the speed of the water flow but nothing is getting rid of it.

Any advice gratefully received

stones and ledge that have the weed and green slime on

That will be a difficult one to overcome.. In ponds and aquarium both have same issues and remedies against to much algae, which s a good balance between, bioload, plantmass, stocking and light. Outdoors we have a light issue we can't regulate, other than create shade or place in the shade where possible. In a wilflife pond without any additional stocking (fish) you solely have to relay on plantmass to compete with algae.. Not neccesarely a propblem, but it takes qeite a load of plants if there is a load of direct light.

This year i played a little with also creating a stream with a 2 metre long gutter.. Making bottlenecks in it with wood, cobbles and gravels, to get pools and rapid streams etc. Simular as in your situation. And I planted it also to have some hydroponic filter system out of it, the water flows through the rootsystems of all the plants in it. Also have small floaters like Salvinia in the little pools in front of the bottlenecks. This salvinia grows like mad and forms a dense mat but still i have that darn green slimey filamentous algae growing in the Salvina roots. It a clado sp. i guess. In the tub where the water comes from are living a school of goldfish, they eat this stuff, they even eat Salvinia, there isn't much they don't eat. So the tub feeding the gutter is crystal clear barely algae to find other then some aufwuchs and diatoms. All is heavily planted, tub and gutter is bursting with plants. But that clado and or other green algae sp. are nutters if it gets enough light it grows as fast as the plants around it.

What you could try to do to mask it is plant grass sp at the edge in between the cobbles, this will create an overhang, create shade and take up nutrients. Maybe some sp. of rush could do, tho i think these ar a bit to stiff and to errect for that. I found a unknow grass sp with a rather soft and long narrow leave absolutely doing a great job.

Here it stands in the gutter, with its roots in a constant stream of water, growing like mad.. But i have no idea yet what grass sp. it is, it grew spontaniously in an old pot in th egarden from where i took it, because i like the looks..
dscf9389-custom-jpg.jpg

Other plants you could put in the water stream close to thos pools are low creepers, like Bog pimpernell, creeping jenny, Mazus reptans...
It likely will not completely eradicate all algae from growing, but it definitively will compete. Also not neccesary to eradicate all algae, a wildlife pond/stream needs it.. We as spectator, need to create other focal points. If there only is algae to watch it sticks out like a sour thumb.. :)

Hi Guys,

Thanks for interest, here are pictures I've just taken this evening.

Everything been going alright, a few plants I'm going swap around to try a create more shade around the pond. There are a couple of lilies in the pond, but they just don't seem to do more than produce a few leaves. There are water snails in the pond so don't know if they are eating them?

Hope you enjoy the pictures
20180823_191606.jpg
20180823_191054.jpg
20180823_191547.jpg
20180823_191727.jpg

View attachment 117392
20180823_191547.jpg
20180823_191606.jpg

Back