• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Poorly Hasborus Cory

AlecF

I added some young habrosus Cory, wild caught, to a 40x40x40 cube. Tank parameters have been safe for a while. I got 9, 1 arrived DOA, 1 was very weak and died the next day, both perhaps to be expected if they were weak. Since then I have lost 2 more so I only have 5 left. They are delightful and the 7 that survived the arrival period seemed healthy. The parameters remain Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10, Ammonia 0, TDS c 180ppm, temperature 73. I buffered the Eheim in tank filter as they found any current hard. I have been feeding a mix of fry powder from Northfin, Bug bites, freeze dried cyclops, some live BBS, some kelp wafers, and some crushed Cory pellets soaked with garlic. First 2 days they ate hungrily. Slightly less feeding since then, though today it seemed good. I lowered the water height as I was worried some weren't making it to the surface – maybe me fussing. I have changed 20-25% water most days. I know these are sensitive fish. I noticed one twitch today and there seems to be some red soreness around the gills – they are so small it is hard to see. The shop that sent them suspect it could be flukes from stress caused by travelling, and suggest I use nt labs fluke and wormer. I have them in a jungly tank with 30 new shrimps, so can't add meds. My alternative is a small fry tank which also has 3 young shrimps. I am reluctant to try and catch and move them as that tank is a jungle and the fry that are in there are so small. I could put them in a Tupperware floating in the cube and try the NT labs meds. Does that seem the best approach? In general, from my limited experience, I leave Cory alone and hope for recovery, as catching the and isolating them is an additional stress, but 4 deaths in a short time is a worry, and as I say, there's the twitching and redness I just noticed. I also wondered about raising the tank temperature? I know not to use salt. Any advice welcome, asap!

It's arriving in the post today. Hopefully the dosing is simple. Does an illness like flukes remain in the tank? I mean do I have to do a complete water change?

Back