• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Possible Columnaris Infection

My Black Molly has developed a white fluffy growth on its mouth and back. Also a couple of neon tetras look infected. Tried to take photo without success. It matches photos online of columnaris infection. I went to the LFS but not helpful said they had not heard of the disease. Sold me 'King British Fin Rot & Fungus Control' on the list of conditions it say's "White cottonwool like growths appear". Buy my understanding is this disease is a gram-negative bacterial infection. The medicine I have got is primarily fungal. I have dropped the temp to 23C as advised elsewhere as this bug will not grow at this temperature.

My question is do you think the medicine I have got is OK. What UK available medicine do I meed to obtain and from where?
Thanks...

I think it is there at low levels anyway and stressed fish are susceptible to it taking hold.

I have had a bunch of rainbow fish die from this and I am not sure if that has been the root cause or whether they have been weakened by something else and this is just a side effect.

Unfortunately all the treatments you see aren't available in the UK without a prescription. http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/wiki/Flavobacterium_columnare gives a list of possible treatments. None have been effective for me.

Hi all,
My Black Molly has developed a white fluffy growth on its mouth and back.
They are a bit prone to this unless you keep them in warm, hard water, some people recommend keeping them with some added salt, but I think if your water is hard enough you don't need to keep Black Mollies in salty water (Sailfin Molies need brackish water).

cheers Darrel

Back