• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Powerhead and filter advice

Alastair

Im currently running two fx5s on my 5foot high tech tank, with outlets from each being in the rear left corner blowing right. And the other front right blowing left. Even though this is giving nice gentle flow around the tank, I'm getting a dead spot in the middle down the not being able to get the flow into it with the double outlets on the filters. If moved too much they restrict the outlet holes. So, I purchased a 3000 lhr powerhead off eBay, and this is much easier to get flow down to where I need it. What I wanted to ask is these few things:

1) would I be ok to remove one of my filters and just have the powerhead
2) could I get away with just running the filter 24/7 and powerhead during co2 and lighting
3) would removing one of the filters have any sudden impact on water quality?

The powerhead uses on 6w of juice, compared to 48w from the fx5, and if running only during lighting, I'll save a fair whack in that sense. I have tried to run the powerhead with both filters but the tank becomes a torrent, ok for my tetras but my chocolate gouramis really struggle. Plus my plants bend over ha ha ;0)

Hi Alastair
Have you thought about making 2 spraybars with rigid pipe and running them across the full length of the back of the tank then you wouldn't need the power head and you would have no dead spots?
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdhardy01 said:
Hi Alastair
Have you thought about making 2 spraybars with rigid pipe and running them across the full length of the back of the tank then you wouldn't need the power head and you would have no dead spots?
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi mate. I used to run it like that, but with the tank being bowfronted, the flow seemed to find it's way more in the centre of the tank and not around the sides and my plants started to suffer..

Back