• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pre-treating a shrimp tank

My nano shrimp tank is almost ready. I’ve got plants growing in, plenty of moss and some healthy tannins. Lots of detritus and leaves. Some snails from the pond have been on algae duty for a few weeks now and I’ve got one or two invertebrates scooting about. Seems like a nice home so far.

One thing concerns me though: I have seen at least one flat worm making its way across the glass. He didn’t have the pointed arrow head of a planaria worm but I don’t know what it is really.

I’d like to avoid adding any chemicals to the tank (been there, done that, regretted it) but as I want my shrimps to breed, should I be worried about the worm? And should I treat the tank before adding shrimp?

If anyone was wondering, I started the tank with local river sand and collected driftwood. Botanicals, mosses and plants sent from friends on this forum. Snails from my pond.

I’ve gone down the sterile tank route before so decided to try something different this time. I was aiming for biodiversity so I’m not surprised at having a worm or two in there.

If you're worried about potential planaria, Genchem No Planaria is shrimp safe, and even if you don't need it now, you probably will at some point

Back