• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Prefilter sponge opinion

Konsa

Hi all
Need a larger prefilter sponge for my tanks.And being lazy to cut and drill one to size was wandering can I use an eheim pickup carbon impregnated sponge as is already drilled and the size and density I need.Normal sponges come in white unfortunately .I imagine after a while the carbon will just wear off leaving me with just the black sponge I need.
Any thoughts ?
Regards Konsa

Hi
Thanks for your input.
I am thinking that it only be a week till is exhausted and Im putting in way more ferts that I need anyway.Apart from initial fert suck up anything else I should be aware of?
Regards Konsa

Carbon sponges suck up the ferts until the carbon is exhausted. So not good for planted tanks
This is not really accurate. Activated Carbon has only a very minor affinity for some micronutrients but will not significantly affect the nutrient levels. More importantly, Activated Carbon is very good at trapping organic molecules which cloud the water or which cause foul odors. See the thread https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/active-carbon-filter-do-u-or-not.9069/

Cheers,

Back