• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Preparing substrate in advance

naughtymoose

Hi Folks
Some advice if you can...

When I get my 240L Roma installed at the end of January I am planning on using B&Q Aquatic Compost , mesh over the top, Tesco or Pets at Home cat litter with maybe a bit of open sand 'beach' for my Salt and Pepper Corydoras.

In preparation, I have a small tank (I think it is 20L) with the soil capped with sand, growing-on some plants. I'm doing daily water changes, dosing with Glut. Tomorrow I'm getting some Easy Life Pro Fito delivered (used some Amazon vouchers) and will start using that too.

Is it worth putting a load of the Aquatic Compost in big buckets to soak in advance and doing a daily water change to get rid of the ammonia?

Yes, but you'll need to let it sit in warm conditions for about a month and it's not really necessary to change the water in the bucket.

Cheers,

Thanks Clive.

I don't expect my Missus will appreciate a big bucket of soggy soil in the lounge...

If I did persuade her, would it be really smelly? Having never done this before, I also have to ask if it would be worth it, or should I just wait until the plastering and decorating are done and the tank is in place?

Colin

Hi Colin,
Well, do you have a garage or basement or otherwise lightly used room? Keep it covered tightly and it will reduce the odors. You can also top it with a few inches of potting soil to bar the escaping odors.

As I mentioned, it's definitely worth it if you have a month to spare. This trick cycles the sediment and therefore mineralizes the ammonia to nitrate which hugely reduces toxicity.

Cheers,

It is the consistency of stodgy porridge. Should I add more water tomorrow to make it more like a slurry?
You can do, but unnecessary. Just keep it moist. Bacterial populations will develop regardless lots of water versus a little water. Oxygen however is a problem and does not diffuse well in water, so too much water can be an impediment.

Cheers,

Back