• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Problems with plants?

Can anyone help with identifying the problem I'm having with the plants in my tank? No doubt it's simple but I'm more of a fish guy than a plant guy...

4 foot tank with 24w fluval aquasky led
Hard to describe the light output due to the different settings in the app but it's on a medium/high setting for 7 hours (10am - 5pm) then a very low setting for 5 hours (5pm - 10pm)
No CO2
TNC complete ferts

Plants are Brazilian Pennywort as a floater (covers 85% of the surface)
20240430_125925.JPG

Echinodorus parviflorus dotted around in a few places
20240430_130000~2.JPG

20240430_130039~2.JPG

+ some mirosorum dotted around in a few places

A lot of the Echinodorus leaves are dotted in brown spots. The one consistent with all plants is they all have browning edges

Any help appreciated

Hi all,

Do you have any snails?

cheers Darrel
A group of assassin snails but that's it

I've got my nannoptopoma in there, thought they may be interested in having a nibble on the diatoms growing on the leaves but appears not

Yes, mostly Diatoms and some Green Spot Algae on the Pennyworts and Anubias. As Darrel said, some Ramshorn snails will take care of the Diatoms... Time will as well, although I've noticed that I occasionally see some diatoms in one of my very mature tanks where I don't (can't) keep snails due to very soft water - not sure why I occasionally get the diatoms.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Back