• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Problems with Vibrations on Eheim Prof 3

bjorn

I've got problems with vibrations on the outflow hose/pipe on my Eheim Prof 3.. it vibrates strongly enough that there is a constant noise in the room, low but very audible and annoying. It's only on the outflow, inflow is fine and has no vibrations at all.. This means the entire outflow hose vibrates and the tank cabinet which it touches acts as a loudspeaker.

My 2nd filter for the same tank is a JBL is totally silent.. if anything it's worked better than the Eheim except it hasn't got a build-in heater.

Any ideas how to fix the vibrations or what might be causing it?

Are there any other large filters with build-in heaters that might be more silent?

Hi Bjorn, I run 4off Eheim Pro3, 3off 2078 and one 2074 and they are all silent. My guess is you have a damaged impellor and or a broken ceramic impellor shaft or one of the two black caps that fit over the ends of the impellor shaft is missing. These are really quiet filters all of mine are in a row in my tank room and the cat purring watching the fish is louder than all 4 filters :) . If you remove the filter head and have a look in at the pump housing I reckon all will be revealed, it may even be someting wrapped round the impellor, kind regards Colin. PS the last bit of your question, the in-built heater, a great idea until either go down, seperates make more sense as you only have one bit of kit failed or damaged at any one time,and Eheim are still a great filter once you find the problem, just my opinion :thumbup:

Thanks, I'll have to open it and see.. I'm sure it didn't vibrate as much as it does now when I first installed it.

But I'm thinking of upgrading to a larger filter, the 2080 or 2180.. I could then maybe stop using 2 filters and it might be able to push enough flow through the AquaMedic Co2 reactor. Want to make sure it can fix the vibrations first before upgrading.

I've swapped the head of the Ehiem Pro I have, still the same. The damn thing makes my entire tank cabinet vibrate. It's a low but noticable humming noice. Tried absolutly everything from swapping hoses to padding the pipes etc.. Nothing helps. It's always worst after I have cleaned the hose and cleared out algae from them. As if when the flow is at max it starts to vibrate the most.

It's definitely the outflow and head of the pump that makes the noice. The JBL filter that stands next to it is totally silent. It's driving me nuts!

Hi mate, had a similar problem creep in on my pro 3 thermo, I found the cause eventually, it was trapped air causing the vibration, like yours, quiet but noticeable. Now when it starts especially after cleaning, I simply push the priming button once or twice and it disappears! Try it out.......

B7fec said:
Hi mate, had a similar problem creep in on my pro 3 thermo, I found the cause eventually, it was trapped air causing the vibration, like yours, quiet but noticeable. Now when it starts especially after cleaning, I simply push the priming button once or twice and it disappears! Try it out.......

Thanks, I did try it. No difference. I've even picked it up and shaken it around to make sure there is no trapped air. It's not a loud noise as such, but I work in the same room as the tank and the vibration noise do me head in.

It would do my head in too! Beats me mate, good luck and hop you get it sorted, might be worth contacting where you got it from and see what they say?!

Back