• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Problems with White spot

Baker96

Hi, I’ve got a 200 litre tank and my cardinals and plecs have been covered in white spot for around 1 weeks now. I’ve been dosing esha exit and esha 2000 for a week now with very little improvement. I’m running two sponge filters with no carbon in the tank. The only thing slightly higher is the nitrate which I have been doing regular water changes to try lower it. Possibly caused by feeding a bit too often. I’m tempted to try Aqualife protozin as I’m not having much luck with esha. Any ideas or advice?

Attachments

• C6659B27-4169-4D84-9AC2-E1A9ED968566.jpeg
    C6659B27-4169-4D84-9AC2-E1A9ED968566.jpeg
    914.3 KB · Views: 127
Hi, I’ve got a 200 litre tank and my cardinals and plecs have been covered in white spot for around 1 weeks now. I’ve been dosing esha exit and esha 2000 for a week now with very little improvement. I’m running two sponge filters with no carbon in the tank. The only thing slightly higher is the nitrate which I have been doing regular water changes to try lower it. Possibly caused by feeding a bit too often. I’m tempted to try Aqualife protozin as I’m not having much luck with esha. Any ideas or advice?
How warm is your tank currently?

Waterlife Protozin has worked successfully for me in the past for white spot, really any Malachite and Formaldehyde concoction should do the job, Anti-White spot treatment from Fishkeeper (MA) is an equivalent that should work.

I have to ask if you are adding any extra minerals for the Platys (pictured) because they really don’t appreciate the very soft water we have up here, they need a higher GH and KH than what comes out our taps. You can either remineralise actively by adding these at water change or passively by adding cuttlefish bone, coral sand or calciferous ocean rock to the tank. Increasing the hardness for the Platys takes you further from what Amazonian fish would like (cardinals) but they will be ok in harder water.

:)

Thanks! They’re red eyed red swordtails. I just increased the temperature as have commonly read that the increase in temperature speeds up the life cycle. I also have l183 and Corydoras in there so wasn’t sure if that would effect them by increasing the hardness. Im assuming I’ll need to do 2 large water changed over the next 2 days before I can add waterli as I’ve already been using esha?

That’s very warm. 22-24 should be fine.
I wouldn’t go as cool as 22 for l183 ancistrus. I’d say 24/25 would be good.

Surprised the esha hasn’t worked. Make sure you keep up with the water changes whilst you’re treating. I’d also keep the tank at 28 as you have now. The fish look healthy still so should hopefully over come it.

Cheers

Back