• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Propogation of cuttings

Gank@Ukaps

My plants are due for a trim (stem plants) - whats the best way of propogating the cuttings, I have some small plastic pots which the plants came in. Original the plants stem were in rock wool - do I need to purchase some rock wool or is there an alternative that I can use.

Paul.

You generally remove the pots and rock wool, and plant the bare stems into your substrate. As Aaron says, just cut and re-plant the cuttings. Take a look in the tutorials section for a good guide to diffrent types of plants and how best to trim them :)

Thx guys

I don't wont to replant the stem into substrate as i want the cutting for a new project - any other suggestion.

Paul.

Hi Paul,
I'm confused by this. Perhaps we can do a reboot. In your original post you stated that you had original pots and wondered whether you need to buy more rock wool. Was this for your special project? I see no reason at all to reuse the pots and rock wool unless you were planning on growing the cuttings emmersed. Is that what you intended to do? Are you wanting to preserved the cuttings until it's time for your next project and are thinking that you can grow the cuttings out of the water until you are ready for the next project? Some clarification would be helpful. :wideyed:

Cheers,

My plants require prunning - the parts I remove I want to retain for another project a have on the go "remember my milky water post". Rather than planting the cuttings in the subsrate, I want to put the cuttings in some old pots that I have kept from previous purchases of plants "you know the mesh pots with the clays weight in the bottom" and leave them in my big tank until my little tank is right. To support the stems should I buy some rock wool or is there any other material I can use while they root.

Paul

well, if you are going to leave the stems submerged I see no reason whatsoever for putting them in pots, and absolutely there is no good reason for rock wool, which is only used as a de-facto substrate when the plants are grown out of water. Placing the stems in the substrate is the best thing for them because direct contact with the soil allows the plant to feed efficiently and roots will grow much better in substrate then in rock wool.

I'd just keep it simple by shoving the cuttings in the substrate in the original tank and then when ready, pull them out, cut back their roots a little before planting them in the new tank. Doing the rock wool & pot scenario is a waste of time, really.

Cheers,

Well it is nice and warm here, 88F at high noon. I guess it's been a bit chilly over by your way huh? :p

Cheers,

I been in glasgow for the past few days and it has been very warm and sunny, came home today and the further south i travelled I had to increase the heat in the service van. Yesterday going to glasgow - top of Shap (tebay services it was Zero road temp) but I had to put the aircon on as the sunny coming through the window was cooking me - I now know what a piece of bread goes through when its in the toaster.

Paul.

if you REALLY want to have then in pots, just put some gravel in there around the stems (or preferably a root tab in there as well) but as Ceg4048 says it is much better for them to remain in the substrate and you can just pull them out when needed, so what if they look abit messy in your tank for a couple of weeks, least it saves you buying more pots of the plant eh?

Gang@ukaps

Following the thread regarding plant cuttings: where is the best place to doing the cutting I.E @

1. just beneath the node at the bottom and just above the node at the top - leaving two set of leaves

or

2. cut the stem in the middle of two set of leaves - leaving two set of leaves.

Regards

paul.

Back