• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Puffer identification?

IrvineHimself

So, I was out at Maidenhead Aquatics in Melville at the weekend and, on impulse, bought half a dozen small puffer fish. However, while I checked for compatibility with its new tank mates and water parameters, like an idiot, I forgot to either make a note of the exact species and how big they will get:rolleyes:

Anyway, my fish seem to be a bit camera shy so I had to sneek up on them to get this photo:
Puffer.jpg

There are about 11 sp. of freshwater puffers...

The most commonly available are Pea puffer, also called Pygmy puffer or Dwarf puffer, Carinotetraodon travancoricus.

Occasionally there also seem to be some subspecies of dwarf puffer in the trade that are yet not fully described. They are very similar but have some differences in markings (more prominent black spots) on their body.

Carinotetraodon travancoricus, dwarf pufferfish.

I found them to be absolute terrors that are only good in a species only tank. I wouldn’t mix them with other fish. I believe they don’t get much bigger than a couple of inches at most.

I also tried them and whilst they are great for controlling snails, they bickered alot due to pairing. This was over 20 years ago now.
Prices have gone up alot for them and I often see them in Maidenhead aquatics.
Fun if you keep them in a puffer only tank. Blood/blackworms are their favourite food. I had lots of MTS so this was always fun watching them hoovering over their prey!

Thanks to all for the very interesting comments.

The sales guy did mention they "can be a bit nippy with other species" and offered to take them back if there were any problems. We went through my current stock, and the only one he was concerned about were my Rock Gobies. As a result, I have been keeping an eye on them (they are adorable). So far, there has been no problems and they seem to be co-existing quite well with the Rock Gobies and all the other fish. Since I planted a forest of dwarf lobelia cardinalis [7 containers 21 individual plants] I have only caught the occasional glimpse of my Kulhis, but they seem okay.

This afternoon, I am going to plant a small jungle of Heteranthera zosterifolia [thanks @jamiepearson] along with a few Java Fern, and for my next shopping list I want a large seletion of Bucephelandra to carpet the exits from the cave network. So the already more than adequate plant coverage will be going up significantly.. Further, while I was out at a Melville, I bought an ex-disolay 30 litre tank to keep my over-stock, so in an emergency, I can move them into a solo tank.

At the moment, I am really struggling to catch my x-ray tetras. If I can get them into in the over-stock tank, I plan on getting half a dozen more hovering zebra loaches and three more rock-gobies. But that won't be for a couple of weeks [budgeting], which gives me plenty of tome to observe the behavior of my little puffers and how disruptive they are.

For info, my current stock list for the display tank is:
  • X-ray Tetras (5)
  • Zebra loaches (4)
  • Pygmy Corys (11)
  • Rock Gobues (3)
  • Khuli Loaches (4)
Thanks again
Irvine

You can keep loads of them, but only 1 male. This is the most important advice you can be given on these fish imo.

Species only tank. One for the more dedicated fish keeper as they’re hard to feed.

Edit, looks like a lovely fish you got :)

I did eventually spawn them, took an embarrassing amount of time to get it right.

Species only tank. One for the more dedicated fish keeper as they’re hard to feed.
Well, I have a good crop of snails; some neocaridina shrimp I would like to replace with caridina ghost shrimp and a good stock of frozen blood worms.

You've got yourself some tough cookies.
What from what I have been reading this definitely seems to be the case. Believe me, I am going to be keeping a very close eye on them, (and yes, they are lovely.)

I did eventually spawn them, took an embarrassing amount of time to get it right.
Funnily enough, I was just doing some preparatory work for planting the Heteranthera zosterifolia, and I am fairly sure I caught a glimpse of a tiny baby rock goby. It was hiding in amongst the pebbles of the river where my heater used to reside. I have still to confirm the sighting, but if it is true then I am going to mark that up as a success.:cool:

Well, I have a good crop of snails; some neocaridina shrimp I would like to replace with caridina ghost shrimp and a good stock of frozen blood worms.

Your feeding plan needs a little more thought, as the snails will last a couple of days, and they only eat the heads… Your shrimp will only slightly be predated on, shrimps are friends. Frozen bloodworm has little nutritional value, and would be unfair on the fish to rely on it.

Not to be a downer, but there is a reason I say you need to be dedicated with these.

As for breeding the Goby, I don’t know that species, but sounds cool 👌

and they only eat the heads
I wish to echo this as it’s a valid point.

The puffers will only eat what they can access without breaking through shells, especially with MTS as they’re incredibly tough.
This can lead to lots of rotting snails in your tanks.
It helps to have a plan for this whether that’s manual removal or something that will eat the leftovers.
Is this something that might appeal to the loaches?

... or something that will eat the leftovers.
Is this something that might appeal to the loaches?
Possibly, whether or not kuhlis eat snails is hotly disputed. Personally, I think it would depend on the origin of the loach in question, I strongly suspect that some loaches have picked up the habit and then passed it onto other loaches they come in their tank. On the other hand, loaches that have never been introduced to that particular delicacy do not view snails as edible.

What do you suggest in the way of live food?
Ideally, I would like something that would take up residence and can be re-stocked as needed. Not only would this provide nutrition for the puffers, but also provide good hunting for all my livestock that enjoy live food.

As for breeding the Goby, I don’t know that species, but sounds cool
It does sound cool, if I can confirm it that along with my recently flowered Bucephalandra would be a real coup.

Since in the last few days, along with the plants kindly donated by @jamiepearson, I spent a small fortune on bucephalandra and dwarf lobelia, I thought you might like to see some up-to-date photos.

On the public view I have my forest of lobelia, they are planted about 2 or 3 cm apart with little hidden clearings and glades, (note the flowering Bucephalandra):
LobeliaForest.jpg

This is my private view, I am not sure of the name of the stem plants I chose to use for the 'Jungle' in front of the filter:
PrivateView (1).jpg

And my very own Leith Street, (an Edinburgh joke) (note the tiny Pygmy Bucephalandras):
Leith Street.jpg

I was lying in bed last night, and it occured to me that,even in an emergency,I probably couldn't remove the puffers. To explain: I have spent 3 days [without success] trying to carch my tetras to move them into my overstock tank The tetras like opne water and rely on speed to evade capture. In the case of my puffers [or any of my other fish], I would have to completely dismantle the scape to have even remotest chance of capturing them.

@seedoubleyou: I did read the care guide you linked to. (Three times now.) Many thanks bya the way.

I am heading out to Melville first thing to get 'Live Food', But after doing some further reading, I noticed that people oftem suggest finely diced sea food, so I was wondering if diced 'crab sticks' would make a good addition to their diet. (Maybe my other fish might enjoy them too?)

My main worry is they escape from Leith Walk and head down to Newhaven. We're soft here. More seriously, catching fish is difficult but a scape can be partially dismantled, and there are also tricks with plastic bottles. You can also divide the tank in half. I'm sure there was a woman fish keeper in Edinburgh posting here about wanting to remove live daphnia from a bucket or pond in her garden, search for that and see if you can uplift them, you may get 2 weeks supply of food. I find frozen daphnia works well with many fussy eaters, mores than brine shrimp. In addition to the bloodworm. I have bloodworm if you need them, in Newhaven.

I have bloodworm if you need them, in Newhaven.
Do you grow them?

And yes, I think I am going to need a regular supply of 'something'. I was thinking of using my overstock tank to grow 'live food', but I am not sure of what? I was actually hoping to grow Ghost Shrimp, which are often described as 'feeder fish' because aquarist keep them to feed to fussy eaters, would these work for dwarf puffers?

At the moment, I am really struggling to catch my x-ray tetras.

Not sure if this is your usual method, but keep the net relatively still and use your other hand to herd them towards the net, instead of chasing them around with the net trying to scoop them.They prioritize running from the hand and are more likely to swim straight into the net

Do you grow them?

And yes, I think I am going to need a regular supply of 'something'. I was thinking of using my overstock tank to grow 'live food', but I am not sure of what? I was actually hoping to grow Ghost Shrimp, which are often described as 'feeder fish' because aquarist keep them to feed to fussy eaters, would these work for dwarf puffers?
I have frozen bloodworm, just offering a tray in case you can't get anything immediately–most online places require you to buy 5 packs, and you want to know if they work first. I have hatched brine shrimp, which all fish adore, but lately I lost the knack (or had bad eggs). It's worth buying a kit, costs c. £25. A spare heater and bucket is all you need, or live in a very hot house! Lots of guides how to hatch these online. I did buy 5 ghost shrimp to keep and their rate of mortality is high, but that isn't necessarily an issue given your aim! I am not sure they breed easily. They are large, much larger than neocardinia. I'd guess the brine shrimp bubbler is a much easier option long term as I doubt the ghost shrimp would multiply fast enough. And a bucket in the back garden for summer mosquitoes, if you have access to a garden. Others here will give you advice ion worm cultures etc, but my personal advice is start with baby brine. You could also return the puffers and start with some easier problems!

Back