• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pump choices

I picked up a maxi jet 750 I have a short length of 12 16 pipe attached to the outlet that fits inside a standard hose pipe. They also do a 500 and a 1000 they are quite expensive I think the green machine sells them but i got mine from a hydroponics place by work for about 25 quid think they have an online shop if you want a link

ant

You could contemplate a used Eheim Compact or Newjet as well. Im not sure if the maxijets would be grunty enough for a 2m head, though will be honest and say I am not familiar with their specs. Remember that LPH is nothing on its own though. It has a lot to do with how far the pump has to push the water.

Mine is about a meter off the floor when in the tank, it goes up and over the side of the tank about 10 foot through the kitchen, and up out through the kitchen window into the garden. I must add my birds at work while this is going on!

ant

krazypara3165 said:
surrey pet supplies do the 500 one delivered for around 17 quid. only problem is that there is no info on the distance the pump can move water up......

Im thinking it wont be man enough. Why not email them and ask though.. The maxijet boxes have info about max head height etc. Bear in mind the closer to the max it works to, the lower the output will be. 500lph (or in real terms, 12 minutes to move your 100L of water) would be based on zero head. You might find it drops to only 100lph at a 2 metre head, thus taking an HOUR to shift that water. Thats not necessarily a bad thing as you wont get any substrate displacement at such a low flow rate :)

Iam doing a change tomorrow il time it and see if it's any good for you it might be abit slow if it's your 4 foot tank I only change 100 litres a week

ant

Antipofish said:
krazypara3165 said:
surrey pet supplies do the 500 one delivered for around 17 quid. only problem is that there is no info on the distance the pump can move water up......

Im thinking it wont be man enough. Why not email them and ask though.. The maxijet boxes have info about max head height etc. Bear in mind the closer to the max it works to, the lower the output will be. 500lph (or in real terms, 12 minutes to move your 100L of water) would be based on zero head. You might find it drops to only 100lph at a 2 metre head, thus taking an HOUR to shift that water. Thats not necessarily a bad thing as you wont get any substrate displacement at such a low flow rate :)

tbh, i wouldnt mind if it took an hour as you said my substrate will remain intact. the barrel will be sat next to the tank anyway so i could just turn it on and get on with the housework for an hour as my tank should be fine for n hour without the filter on.

I've just done my water change I changed 50 percent about 70 litres it took just under 15 minutes

ant

anttthony said:
I've just done my water change I changed 50 percent about 70 litres it took just under 15 minutes

ant

How high up does it have to pump the water ?

Hi it goes up the side of the tank about a foot. over the side about a meter down then about 7 foot along the floor then up about 5 foot out of a window to the garden

ant

anttthony said:
Hi it goes up the side of the tank about a foot. over the side about a meter down then about 7 foot along the floor then up about 5 foot out of a window to the garden

ant

Lol never mind all that. Whats the difference in height between the highest point the water reaches and the lowest point it comes from, in a vertical plane.

anttthony said:
O right probably around 4 foot

ant

OK so thats just under 2/3 the head that KP has. Considering there is probably an exponential drop off in performance as head increases, whilst it works for you, it might be very slow for KP, which was the point I was trying to make. I think a bigger one would be better for him IMO.

Back