• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Purigens effect on humic acid and anti fungal benefits

Alastair

Just out of curiosity, even though my tank water is pretty clear particle wise, im thinking of trying purigen again but on a low tech tank.
I know the stuff absorbs organic compounds tannins etc, so if this is the case does it mean that it would also remove all the beneficial properties that come with alder cones almond leaves and peat etc ie antifungal and ph lowering plus any humic acid produced???

I only ask as I have a fair amount of alder cones and almond leaves. I dont mind the tannins etc but do have some fine particles that the filtet doesn't quite catch which purigen would hold onto but I dont want to lose what benefits I get from the cones and leaves.

Thanks for any help

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Been using Purigen in low tech 300 litre tank for around eight month's so far, and have seen no negative effect on plant's ,fishes.
If I were Relying solely on organic waste for plant food I might not see the sense of using it,but I add inorganic fertz(,mineral salt's)each week, so plant's still appear to thrive for me.
Bring's me the clarity I desire despite several large pieces of driftwood I have with anubia attached.

Hi all,
I only ask as I have a fair amount of alder cones and almond leaves. I dont mind the tannins etc but do have some fine particles that the filtet doesn't quite catch which purigen would hold onto but I dont want to lose what benefits I get from the cones and leaves.
I think that Purigen will remove the DOC compounds you want. I don't like floss, but a fine sponge (PPI30) might do?
If I were Relying solely on organic waste for plant food I might not see the sense of using it,but I add inorganic fertz(,mineral salt's)each week, so plant's still appear to thrive for me.
It isn't really nutrients that are an issue, it is the humic acids and tannins (natural organic matter (NOM)) that the Purigen removes. Black water fish have evolved in water rich in both dead leaves and humic substances.

Personally I have no doubt that care for these fish is less problematic in tanks with humic compounds present.

Have a look a this article by Colin Dunlop < All the leaves are brown… — Seriously Fish> & this one from the "Skeptical Aquarist" <Humic substances | The Skeptical Aquarist>.

This is from "Influence of Natural Organic Matter Source on Copper Speciation As Demonstrated by Cu Binding to Fish Gills"
Rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss, 2 g) were exposed to 0−5 μM total copper in ion-poor water for 3 h in the presence or absence of 10 mg C/L of qualitatively different natural organic matter (NOM) ...... The presence of NOM decreased Cu uptake by trout gills as well as Cu concentrations..... Furthermore, the source of NOM influenced Cu binding by trout gills with high-color, allochthonous NOM (ie. tannins from the leaf litter of terrestrial trees) decreasing Cu accumulation by the gills more than low-color autochthonous NOM
cheers Darrel

Hi all,

I think that Purigen will remove the DOC compounds you want. I don't like floss, but a fine sponge (PPI30) might do?

It isn't really nutrients that are an issue, it is the humic acids and tannins (natural organic matter (NOM)) that the Purigen removes. Black water fish have evolved in water rich in both dead leaves and humic substances.

Personally I have no doubt that care for these fish is less problematic in tanks with humic compounds present.

Have a look a this article by Colin Dunlop < All the leaves are brown… — Seriously Fish> & this one from the "Skeptical Aquarist" <Humic substances | The Skeptical Aquarist>.

This is from "Influence of Natural Organic Matter Source on Copper Speciation As Demonstrated by Cu Binding to Fish Gills"

cheers Darrel

Thanks for that informative post as always darrel thanks. I was hoping you chip in and the link science fiction posted too helped so ill not be using purigen. I prefer the tanning look anyway.

I know its a slightly off topic subject darrel but what effect would the low ph and humic substances etc have on any added fertilisers. Would they effect dissolution of iron copper etc or would that only happen in extremely low ph???

Hi all,
I know its a slightly off topic subject darrel but what effect would the low ph and humic substances etc have on any added fertilisers. Would they effect dissolution of iron copper etc or would that only happen in extremely low ph???
I think once you get below pH7 a lot ions will become more available, if you have a lot of DOC most of those ions will be complexed, and what happens after that is going to depend upon a number of factors.

I think this is about right <Chelation | The Skeptical Aquarist>, and it is the approach we used, but it isn't a subject where I know much about the actual chemistry (I'm not a chemist).

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

I think once you get below pH7 a lot ions will become more available, if you have a lot of DOC most of those ions will be complexed, and what happens after that is going to depend upon a number of factors.

I think this is about right <Chelation | The Skeptical Aquarist>, and it is the approach we used, but it isn't a subject where I know much about the actual chemistry (I'm not a chemist).

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel. I read your last link and just tried to get my head around some of its explanations. So to my understanding it still allows some iron etc to be taken up by plants but mentions humic acid can bind potassium calcium and magnesium thus taking it out of circulation so I take it this means that any added to benefit plants or minerals for shrimp are not going to be used up???

Hi all,
So to my understanding it still allows some iron etc to be taken up by plants but mentions humic acid can bind potassium calcium and magnesium thus taking it out of circulation so I take it this means that any added to benefit plants or minerals for shrimp are not going to be used up???
There isn't really a black and white answer to this, you can think of it like velcro, the ions are held, but not permanently stuck. Which ions are held and released depends upon the chelator, their relative abundance and the lyotropic series <Lyotropicseries>.

A basic rule would be that monovalent ions like NO3- and Na+ are exchanged for all other ions with a higher valency SO4--, Ca++, Mg++ in the water column.
For anions you have: (most tightly held) SO4-- < F− < Cl− < Br− < NO3− < I− (least tightly held).

If you have a high enough concentration of any ion it will displace other ions, even if they are higher up the lyotropic series.

Have a look at this PDF (from lenntech), in this case you just have to substitute DOM when it says "ion exchange resin" <http://www.lenntech.com/Data-sheets/Ion-Exchange-for-Dummies-RH.pdf>

cheers Darrel

Hi all
I'm pleased you've enjoyed it, although anecdotally it is the kind of discussion which puts a lot of people off.
I'm probably strange, but I really like to know "why" something does, or doesn't, work.

cheers Darrel

Doesnt put me off darrel I think its really valuable to myself and many....after reading through it a couple of times though ;)

Back