• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Question about wood products.

Matt Havens

So I'm looking at some wood which has been shipped from India. I am to beleive it has been fumigated, products from China normally are fumigated with Methyl Bromide (Bromomethane) .

I dont believe I would be able to use this in an aquarium unless it has all leached out. I found a small article about its affects on the environment but unsure what to take from it.

www.inchem.org/documents/hsg/hsg/hsg86_e.htm

If anyone could guide me who has a better understanding of such things I would be very grateful.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hi all,
So I'm looking at some wood which has been shipped from India. I am to beleive it has been fumigated, products from China normally are fumigated with Methyl Bromide (Bromomethane) .
Lovely, methyl bromide is a highly toxic biocide, but it is also a gas in use and will fairly quickly diffuse into the atmosphere.

Can you just leave the wood outside for a couple of weeks?

My understanding was that its use was being phased out under the Montreal Protocol (it is a "greenhouse gas")

cheers Darrel

Hi all,Lovely, methyl bromide is a highly toxic biocide, but it is also a gas in use and will fairly quickly diffuse into the atmosphere.

My understanding was that its use was being phased out under the Montreal Protocol (it is a "greenhouse gas")

cheers Darrel
Hey Darrel,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I believe it has been banned in most places but China and a few other countries. It was shipped from India and should have diffused most of it by now. Would it be wise to bake this at all before it goes into an aquarium? Or should I just avoid it?

Thanks

Hi all,Lovely, methyl bromide is a highly toxic biocide, but it is also a gas in use and will fairly quickly diffuse into the atmosphere.

cheers Darrel
It has been in the UK for some weeks now in a big open warehouse but in cardboard boxes.

Gases can penetrate (no idea on wood) - partner flew to India several times for business, on one return fight, luggage had obviously been fumigated - heavily - had to toss the suitcase & wash clothes repeatedly to remove odour, for months afterwards you could tell which clothes had been on that flight

I'd sooner soak the wood with frequent water changes rather than baking

Gases can penetrate (no idea on wood) - partner flew to India several times for business, on one return fight, luggage had obviously been fumigated - heavily - had to toss the suitcase & wash clothes repeatedly to remove odour, for months afterwards you could tell which clothes had been on that flight

I'd sooner soak the wood with frequent water changes rather than baking
From what I am told it is done by means of a canister which is set off and placed inside the shipping container, the shipping container should then be opened to 'air out' 24 hours before leaving the port in China. It is then on the sea for around 3 months before docking in the UK and then another 2-3 weeks before it arrives to the depot.

This is not sold for use in aquariums or pet stores but for decorative means.

Last edited:
At this point I'm thinking any residue that is going to "gas off" has done so, soaking with water changes will hopefully remove any possible lingering remmnants ... set up the tank & test with cherry shrimp I guess :angelic:

Back