• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Question for the DIY enthusiasts amongst you

Ajm200

What's the name of the safety bracket that holds toybox lids open. The bar that goes from the toy chest to the side of the lid and prevents the lid from slamming shut. It only allows the lid to be closed if you release the mechanism by lifting the lid a bit higher then lower it slowly.

If I knew what the bracket was called I might be able to google it and find a sturdy version.

Reason for asking .. Was mucking about with the tank trying to catch a couple of stray leaves when the tank lid came down on my head. It's 5' x 1' x 1" and solid wood. Got a ridiculously large bump on my forehead and a cracking headache. Worst bit, it's Saturday night and there's not a drop of medicinal booze in the house :(

SteveUK said:
Ouch :( Maybe a couple of fold down legs either end of the lid to prevent it dropping any further than a set point?

That's the sort of thing I'm looking for. I've seen them on the toyboxes we had as kids (long, long ago). They were made of brass. Don't trust my DIY enough to make something myself. At least it was my hard head and not the kids fingers.

You could also use the self locking pnuematics from a car boot or just a simple screw lock, you can get them with a wing nut that you just tighten once in place. I gave my self concussion once doing more or less the same thing, I feel your pain.

Back