Quick question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Fert Dosing' started by Vase, 13 Jan 2009.

1. Vase

Vase Member

Hey,

Just a quick question if I may. When dosing a tank using the EI method, what are the implications of doing water changes larger than 50% each week? Do you just have to dose differently by adding more ferts for example? Or is there more to it?

(Ok so thats actually three questions ;) )

2. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Its ok to do pretty much any size water change over the 50%, in fact the bigger the better in way ways as it removes algae spores and other things that might build up in the water. The 50% is only to stop the fert levels getting to high, i.e. if you dose a total of 3ml of PO4 a week then the most its going to 6ml in the tank. Doing a larger water would just reduce the max it would get to.

Sam

3. Vase

Vase Member

So (for example) would you need to dose more PO4 to allow for the larger water change? Or have I got his totally backwards?...lol

4. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

No I would stick with the normal amounts, you don't need to add more ferts for a larger water change :)

Sam

5. Vase

Vase Member

Cheers man. Thats another thing in my head cleared up. Top banana :D