rainbow fish

Discussion in 'Fish' started by hixy, 9 Mar 2008.

1. hixy

hixy Member

hello folks can i keep rainbow fish in a planted aquarium and how many. my tank is 300 litres with a juwel jumbo filter plus an ehiem 2080 external.

thanks hixy

2. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

Rainbows are great fish. I've got a shoal of 22 Pseudomugil gertrudae in my RIo 180.

How many you keep will depend on what species you want as they vary massively in size, but whichever one you choose keep them in a shoal.

3. hixy

hixy Member

Thank you eds,think i need to get rid of my discus as to many in my tank.I do like rainbows do they breed easily.

4. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

Mine were spawning the afternoon they went in the tank, but I haven't seen any fry in the tank (the shrimp must be eating the eggs as the adults aren't supposed to eat them) so will have to put them in a breeding tank to raise some. As mine are one of the tiny species I'll need to go through the hassle of feeding them infusoria too! :(

5. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Raindows would be ideal, I love the yellow they give. In a 300lt you could have loads 60-70 if not more!

Common Australian rainbows (the yellow ones) found in the shops include Gertrude that ed has, threadfin Iriatherina werneri and forktail Pseudomugil furcatus

Sam

6. hixy

hixy Member

60 or 70 didnt think i could keep that many,the ones i have seen in the shop were about 3 inches long. will have a look on net to get some info.thanks every one

7. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

You're looking at the larger Melanotaenia and Glossolepis spp. that are seen in the shops. These are great fish too, but obviously you couldn't keep 60 of them! ;) Sam was talking about the smaller Blue eyes and Threadfin Rainbows.

If you want a good look at different Rainbows, try here.
    http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Melano.htm

8. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Yeh sorry should have clarified that statement! You'd not get 60 red rainbows in!! :lol:

Sam

9. gixer

gixer Member

Great fish,

I've got 4 Melanotaenia praecox 2 male 2 female.

002.jpg

Really active fish, they chase each other round the tank at warp speed 9, so not really a good fish you have a fish of nervous disposition.
    I have since read the ideal is 2 females to each male, but my 4 do seem to get on great.

The speed these fish come to a stop after a flat out blst has to be seen to be believed :lol:

Cheers
    Mark

10. gixer

gixer Member

Mine was a bit of a crap pic, here's a better one:

M_Praecox_HH.jpg

11. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Dwarf neon rainbow if memory serves. Nice fish, colourful too :)

Sam

12. Joecoral

Joecoral Member

Yup. Melanotania praecox

13. hixy

hixy Member

Does anybody know where i can buy Melanotaenia praecox from i am in the midlands near stourbridge and also it says that they like water which is slightly hard as my water is very soft would this make a difference

14. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

I was about to say that if you've got soft water (out of the tap? you lucky thing!) then you might be best sticking to one of the Pseudomugil species as most of those tolerate acidic conditions better from what I've read and in my experience of them, but looking on the Rainbowfish website they list a number of Melanotaeniaas as coming from acidic to neutral conditions. They don't list the natural conditions for the Dwarf Neon though (typically!).

15. Joecoral

Joecoral Member

i live in a soft water area and have had 15 M. praecox in my rio180 for several months and they're all doing fine