• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rainbows slow to settle in.

idris

I got 6 Dwarf Blue Rainbows 2 days ago and they're being quite slow to settle in.
They hid as soon as they went into the tank and gave hardly broken cover since. When they do, they scurry away at the least movement outside he tank.

As a result they're pretty much missing out on food as it gets eaten before they get to it.
They're the largest fish in the tank, so I wouldn't expect them to bs scared of their tank mates & I've seen no signs of aggression.
On the few occasions I have seen them, one or more may be swimming slightly on it's side, which I'm pretty sure would bs a bad sign, but until they start showing themselves a little more I can't be sure if that.

Any thoughts / suggestions?

These rainbows often take a week or so to settle in to their new environment, so dont panic on that score.

M.praecox due to mass breeding have become weaker generally and are not as hardy and disease resistant as they once were. However that does not mean anything is wrong with them when you have only recently introduced them.

Thanks.
I avoided Dwarf Gouramis for precisely that reason. :rolleyes: Are there any such long term concerns with Dwarf Rainbows?

Yes they can suffer in a similar way to other inbred fish like fancy guppies and dwarf gouramis. Essentially many have weaker immune systems and dont fight off infections too well. A high proportion of fish carry mycobacteria and most stay that way but those that are weak may succumb to it and show symptoms such as wasting and body ulcers, it can also manifest as bloating.

Having said that it is not a given that will happen to your fish. I have in the past kept lfs praecox and while i lost many some were fine and healthy and lived a long time.

Dont panic or do anything drastic just keep their environment in good condition, frequent water changes, varied diet. They appreciate substantial amount of vegetable matter in their diet, use vege flake, pellets as part of their feeding.

Thanks. Pretty much what I was planning.
I've read about "Dwarf Gourami Desease" being present in pretty much all Dwarf Gouramis. I hadn't seen anything similar about Rainbows, so it's good to hear its not a certainty.

Back