• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rainwater - Tapwater mix

SneakySnail

Seedling
Hi guys,

I should be heading off to Thailand soon and have some large tanks on my mind but the region has seasonal droughts and may not be able to supply consistent tap water year round.

My house has 2 water tanks totaling 3,500 Litres which are feed through a multi stage carbon filter. These tanks may not have the capacity to last the dry season and would need to be topped up every now and again by water trucks which would no doubt have very different parameters.

I'm considering adding another large water tank (2-3,000L) to collect rain water which can be used for the garden and any aquariums. I imagine mixing these 2 water sources would be a terrible idea? I mean having the 2 tanks connected both flowing through the filter into the house.

Would the fluctuation in mix of rainwater/tap water kill any fish you think?

Maybe just better to have them isolated and pump rainwater into the normal tanks if the levels are getting low for the house?

I know i'll need to buffer the rainwater and mix with some tap water 2 but interested to hear if anyone has had much experience with using rain water.

Hi all,
I'm considering adding another large water tank (2-3,000L) to collect rain water which can be used for the garden and any aquariums.
I definitely would, you can never have too much water storage.
Would the fluctuation in mix of rainwater/tap water kill any fish you think?
I think if it is always a mix, it should be all right.
but interested to hear if anyone has had much experience with using rain water.
A few of us <"are rain-water users">. I'm lucky that I have a <"good quality hard tap water supply">, so can use it to cut my rain-water.

We can also get parameters for our tap water <"from our water supplier">.

cheers Darrel

I have these Iwagumi stones which increases the water hardness over time

Is it ok if I use only rain water, and let my stones leach out minerals into the water? Or would this end in disaster?

Back