• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Raising Otos

worwood

Hi guys - does anyone have experience of raising oto fry?

I've just witnessed my otos embraced in the t-position and can see a few clusters of eggs where they've been embraced and i'd love to try raising them :)

My main concerns are around 1) what do i feed them if/when they hatch; and 2) should i move them to another tank as they're in with 1 male Tateurndina ocellicauda and several Pseudomugil furcatus both of which seem to try and eat anything they can get their tiny mouths around! Also there are 2 Amano shrimp the tank as well.

Greatly appreciate any advice and I feel really privileged i got to witness them breeding :D

Moving them to another tank would be better for their survival, I would presume a mature tank would be best. They will find their own food in a mature planted tank. If you have a recently setup tank infested with diatoms that maybe ideal. :D

I've come across quite a few threads on forums and most let the fry get on with it with mixed results. They will feed off the bio film on moss and wood. They can always be offered the usual veggy options too once they have put on a little size.

Although considered a rare event it seems to be more commonplace these days. A quick google for "oto fry" will find you some threads to research.

Good luck with them. :thumbup:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fish/ ... -pics.html

Back