• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ramshorn snail die off

Cheltster

Can any of you excellent people shed any light as to why my Ramshorn snails seem to die off before they get big and old? I have countless small ones in my tank, but they all seem to die before they get above the size of a pea. Water quality should be fine as the cherry shrimp are fine, as are the small snails. The only other occupants are half a dozen neon and ember tetras. Some of my baby snails have gone on to greatness in my father's tank but mine never seem to. Tank is littered with empty shells. I'm in a Thames water area, so water is hard but I cut it 50/50 with rainwater to reduce the TDS.

Attachments

• IMG_20230327_184001.jpg
    IMG_20230327_184001.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 408
I do not, nor do I use liquid carbon. Only ferts for the plants in recommended doses.

Are you injecting CO2 in there?
Other possible reason could be the lack of calcium but if you are using tap water that should not be the problem.
Yet another possible reason could be poisoning. Perhaps doing multiple water changes and doing some light substrate vacuum would help.
Did you ever use 'no planaria' or cupper based medication in the tank?

I change about 50 % of the water every 10 days to two weeks or so. I've never used medication in the tank or any copper. The only things I add are Profito, and ferts. I did think it may be a calcium thing, or the water being too soft but the old shells from the dead snails remain and the local tap water here is as hard as nails.

Do you have any Planaria in tank at all? (or indeed any leeches of any sort?)

They are quite tiny, and look like this:

Inked50e5b18df2126_LI_480x480.jpg

You'll occasionally see them on the glass. I encountered quite a large die off of Ramshorns in my old low tech tank, and when I investigated found I had a lot more Planaria in the tank than I had realised. I treated for the Planaria, and saw no further snail deaths beyond the normal attrition.

Cheers Wookii, I am aware of planaria, but have never seen anything like that in my tank. I shall dig around a bit to see if I can find any.

It does seem bizzare that it’s only when they reach a certain size.
I wonder if the fish are nipping at them once they get to a size large enough for them.

I'm reading this story with greatest curiosity. A few days ago I've suggested on this forum that ramshorns' happiness depends more on their nutrition than water. And now, there's a hard water here, and snails carrying transparent shells. In fact, my ramshorns living in very soft water pH about 5.5 look much healthier. (Without any extra feeding.)
I don't know the answers, but this is very special situation, indeed.

I have noticed that rams-horn snails and very soft water is not a good combo. In my so-called lean tank (10 ppm of Ca, 5 ppm of Mg, pH 6.2) their shells gets white and brittle - yes, they seems to survive but definitely not thriving and won’t get very big before they die off…. I feed them algae wafers. There is a distinction between surviving and thriving. .. In my shrimp tank (Ca ~21 ppm Mg ~7 ppm ) they are definitely thriving - all sizes, all with redish/brownish shells and prolific propagation.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
I find this the best food for shrimp and snails if you want to keep their shells healthy:

All my snails have beautiful shells :) specially my Elephant Snails after feeding them this!

And I also feed all my shrimp and snails this:

Not the cheapest food, but what I got best results with!

Have to say that Paulo knows his stuff and has kindly given me a variety of snails in the past and they have all been glorious.
Whereas mine has bred over time. I do notice that there are some discarded shells in different sizes over the last few months and some in shrimp only tanks and some in fish tanks perhaps I am not allowing enough food.

Back