• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

RCS Stopped Breeding

Callum

My RCS in my 60 litre have stopped breeding for some reason (I never see any females with eggs anymore). I used to have around 5 females with eggs at a time and now I have none! I thought perhaps all my females died (unlikely I know) but I have not seen any dead shrimp and I have seen females with saddles. I have around 40-60 shrimp and nitrates are reasonably low. I have starting dosing with the EI method recently but that has been after the problem started. The other thing it could be could be something to do with me as I started cleaning the internal filter weekly as flow was dropping. Could it have anything to do with that? Cleaning with aquarium water of course, and I have now added an eheim internal to help out. Any advice much appreciated.

Probably just your shrimp having their off / close season for breeding. Most shrimp have a 2/3 month period where breeding slows or even stops. For my shrimp its normally around nov/dec through to early new year. You could try feeding a higher protein based food to try and help egg/saddle forming. Bear with them and they will start again I'm sure.

Thanks for the help basil :thumbup:

I have found with RCS they breed in spurts also. I did recieve some pheromone from a rcs breeder and this made them breed again.

Check water parameters and I guess its good to introduce some new stock every year.

Back