• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Recommend any plants that will flower?

Barney

Seedling
Starting to think about the scape and plants for a new project next year and I was curious if anyone can recommend any plants that will flower? I had an Aponogeton in a previous tank which flowered above the water all the time and was really nice (but way to big for the tank it was in at the time).

Just wondering if there was any other plants that commonly produce flowers.

The tank will hopefully be a 5ftx2ftx2ft and I will be dosing a DIY pfertz/ADA mix with CO2 and at least 2wpg.

There are many, although the only one that i can think of right now is anubias :lol:

All aquarium plants except mosses, ferns and algae will produce flowers (they are members of the division Angiosperae or Magnoliophyta (flowering plant)), but most of the plants we keep in our tanks flower during the dry season, when they are emmersed, and so rarely flower in the aquarium.

Try growing various plants in a simple propagator (or a pot in a plastic bag) on the window sill and see what you get. Search google for aquarium plant flower, or aquarium plant emmersed and you should find some good articles on it.

Mark

Hi all,
As suggested nearly all flowering plants will flower, mainly when the stem is emersed. Heteranthera species are really good and you get a range of colours (H. zosterifolia is mauve, H. dubia yellow). Hygrophila corymbosa flowers really well when it becomes emersed, pretty mauve tubular flowers. Nymphaea are also good and also flower really well if you let them develop floating pads. Other ones I've had flower are Limnobium (white and spidery), Cabomba yellow and Pogostemon stellatus purple (but plant grown emersed).

Crinum should be a good as well, but I've never grown any of the aquatic ones.

Have a look here: <http://keys.lucidcentral.org/keys/a...rium_&_Pond_Plants/Media/Html/Other/Home.html> or at the Tropica catalogue.

cheers Darrel

The plant genus that has flowered most often, for me, is Sagittaria.

Cheers,
James

Thanks a lot all. Will have a look at all of them and maybe try growing a few emersed plants before I get the tank :) ( I was going to start growing some HC this way too so I had a good carpet going by the time the tank was running).

Back