• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Recommendations for cleaning used aquarium wood?

Wookii

I have been lucky, and managed to secure a large batch of second hand manzanita off eBay.

I imagine it will need a through cleaning before I can think about using it in my planned future tank.

Can anyone give me any guidance on thoroughly cleaning it ready for storage?

The pieces are large, so boiling or soaking isn’t an option as I don’t have vessels large enough. I have a jet washer, but don’t want to damage the wood. I also have plenty of thin bleach, if scrubbing with a solution of that might help. I also have a couple of bottles of 6% H2O2 that I could use, and might be preferable to the bleach as I presumably won’t have to treat with Prime afterwards?

All suggestions welcome.

Cheap Bleach leave to soak then quick rinse then leave to store, rinse again before use IMO

Thanks Zeus. As I mentioned, the pieces are too large to fit in a container, so when you say ‘soak’ do you just mean brush them with bleach solution, and leave to stand?

Thanks Zeus. As I mentioned, the pieces are too large to fit in a container, so when you say ‘soak’ do you just mean brush them with bleach solution, and leave to stand?

I would either:
1) put them in the bath to soak with some thin bleach
2) put some excel/easycarbo in a syringe and drip onto the wood until it's been covered, after a couple mins scrub and rinse.

I would try option 2 as i don't like the idea of soaking wood in bleach.

I would either:
1) put them in the bath to soak with some thin bleach
2) put some excel/easycarbo in a syringe and drip onto the wood until it's been covered, after a couple mins scrub and rinse.

I would try option 2 as i don't like the idea of soaking wood in bleach.

Thanks Sammy - no way on earth the wife would let me fill the bath that the kids use with bleach solution, let alone dump a load of grubby sticks in it! :lol:

I do have some Excel, but that seems an expensive option - there is quite a lot to clean:

upload_2020-4-29_14-1-4.jpeg

Any reason by the H2O2 couldn’t be used? At least it just turns neutral once rinsed off? - I just want to be sure it won’t damage the wood though (I guess I could test on a small piece.)

Why clean it?

Let it dry thoroughly, all the dirt etc will fall of when rubbed.

just a thought! :)

Maybe - I’m just cautious of introducing any possible parasites, bacteria or unnecessary algae spores into a new tank - I know such thing can last a long time even if the wood has dried.

Thanks Sammy - no way on earth the wife would let me fill the bath that the kids use with bleach solution, let alone dump a load of grubby sticks in it! :lol:

I do have some Excel, but that seems an expensive option - there is quite a lot to clean:

View attachment 134079

Any reason by the H2O2 couldn’t be used? At least it just turns neutral once rinsed off? - I just want to be sure it won’t damage the wood though (I guess I could test on a small piece.)

Haha didn't think that one through :lol:

Back