• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Recommendations for floating plants with short roots . . .

I recall the time my frogbit had longer roots when I set it up and did not fertilize. But because my carpet plants were in a decline after depleting soil nutrients, I began fertilizing. No wonder they don’t grow long roots anymore. Interestingly, observation of how floaters do can be used to gauge water column nutrient condition.

Everything has grown tremendously in low tech! Lovely.

Thanks mate. To be fair, I think the frogbit is the only thing that has really grown any - I did plant very heavily from the get go as I had a lot of plants to use up from when I broke this tank down a few weeks back, and also from a growing on tank I had going for another larger tank that hasn't happened.

What is interesting though is a lot of the plants from the growing on tank (which was ran high tech) weren't in the best of shape, particularly the anubias plants right at the front which are all on small lava rocks; pale leaves, some veining, and a fair amount of algae on the leaf edges etc. You can see it when you zoom in on the earlier of the two photos.

But after 2-3 weeks in this low tech tank the leaves have all greened back up, and the algae has almost completely disappeared with no intervention from me. I don't know whether that's the shrimp and nerites, or the lower light conditions, but this tank is rapidly making me a low tech convert.

I’m having a very similar experience with Frogbit. I set up my first proper little tank about 2 months ago, low tech, long photo period, heavily planted, and the Frogbit has grown like crazy (though was algae-central until recently). It’s a little 20l nano cube and the Frogbit roots are regularly regrowing to 20-30 cms per week and making the total height of the tank. The light is pretty bright, so I’m trying out a shorter time to see if this makes a difference.
Luckily, the roots don’t seem to not mind an aggressive haircut... everything else has also now settled in really well. It’s just a shame that I’m starting to have to chuck the excess away!

Sylvania also seems to grow longer roots in poor conditions. I have taken some photos to compare. These are Tropica plants. In my main tank (no CO2, EI ferts) the leaves grow very small and the total length of the plant never gets more than about 7cm. Roots max out at about 1cm, but the plants spread like crazy.
IMG_20201207_223003.jpg

IMG_20201207_223011.jpg

I also have a small bowl on my desk which doesn't have a light but gets some natural light from a north facing window. I never add ferts, water changes are about every 6 weeks using water from my main tank. The Sylvania grows much bigger with longer roots and more compact leaves.
IMG_20201207_214952.jpg

IMG_20201207_215017.jpg

Unfortunately, the opening of the bowl is only 12cm diameter so the end is forced underwater where it goes brown. I'm going to experiment with swapping the plants between the two tanks. Perhaps if I grow the roots in the bowl then swap them into the big tank they will keep their long roots and compact leaves...

I find the same applies as above (with salvinia natans) when you change the amount of flow the plants receive. In a stronger current the leaves and roots stay shorter but in a still setting, the leaves grow much larger as do the roots. I don't know if this is just anecdotal for my tanks or a known influence. The lighting was stronger in the tank with more flow however but the water and ferts were similar/same.

Hi all,
I'm going to experiment with swapping the plants between the two tanks.
They change from <"one growth form to another"> quite readily. My guess is that what you are seeing is <"largely a light effect">, although I suspect your window-sill plant is deficient in all, or any, of the three major plant nutrients (N : P : K), which are mobile within the plant and being withdrawn from the older brown leaves and moved to the newer, green leaves.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys, the Sylvania I have in my tanks from the Tropica 1-2 Grow pot have remained tiny (leaves less than 10mm long - nearer 5mm), in both by high tech and low tech tanks.

I have ordered some Red Root Floaters to try, from eBay - 25x plants for £3.99 delivered - can't grumble at that. I'll report back on how long the roots get in my low tech on those.

I'd like to keep floating plants with roots, but not so long.
You could try: Hydrocleys nymphoides, water poppy. (Got mine from eBay)
Pale yellow flowers and floating leaves, rather brittle and goes not travel well. May form large mats in a pond. Trying it out in my tank. Roots are hairy but short compared with Amazon frogbit, which I struggle to grow.

Just bought some Phyllanthus fluitans, root root floater from eBay. Thanks @Wookii

You could try: Hydrocleys nymphoides, water poppy. (Got mine from eBay)
Pale yellow flowers and floating leaves, rather brittle and goes not travel well. May form large mats in a pond. Trying it out in my tank. Roots are hairy but short compared with Amazon frogbit, which I struggle to grow.

Just bought some Phyllanthus fluitans, root root floater from eBay. Thanks @Wookii

Thanks - let me know how it goes with the water poppy - flowers like that would be a bonus for sure.

Back