• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Recommendations on a new tank

ChrisP

Hi all,

Thinking of getting back into fish keeping / planted tanks after a few years away and looking for some recommendations on a new tank. Not after anything too big or expensive this time maybe 60 - 90L, external filter, overhead lighting etc. I think I still have a Co2 regulator, diffuser and some other bits knocking about so they won't be needed.

I noticed LED lighting has made its way into the hobby now. Are they any good or are T5's still the way to go?

Cheers,
Chris

If you are in the UK, TMC Signature Optiwhite aquariums are nice. Lots of journals here using them. The cabinets don't have holes in the sides for filter hoses though.

Personally, I've found TMC LED products to be unreliable. However, I would still go for LEDs for their energy saving and better environmental credentials. Everyone makes LED units now.

P

Thanks for the info! Where is the best place to buy the Optiwhite online? A Google brings up various sites, none of which I have heard of / know if are reliable.

I use tmc aquabars that can be reto fitted into a hood or suspended above open top tanks. I have several and have had no problems so far. The dimmer is also quite cheap so is a nice option. I like a combination of a white bar and the colour bar. I don't like the colour one on its own and white on its own is quite stark but then it depends what look you prefer.

Led is still in its infancy .Im using t5 ho's and the one led I do have is reduced 50% as not to induce algae growth.I do have lots of cheap led paper weights:(
If you choose led buy high end with dimmer and color variable options .

Back