• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Recommendations please

idris

Advice please for some new plants.
Must be suitabe for low light (0.25W/l), non CO2, and slow growing, with root systems that can be buried.

Firstly I'd like something for the background, with good sized broad (or roundish) leaves upto 12" high that will contrast with my Amazon Swords and Valis.
Secondly I'd like something to replace my Hair Grass. I like the look of Blyxa Japonica, but I think it needs more light and CO2 than it's going to get in my tank. Preferably something that can grow quite densely.

For tall slow growing (not very broad leafed), I might consider Crypt Balansae or maybe Lotus(Broader leaf).
Would either of these fit the bill?

I'd like something broader than Balansae.
I got the impression htat Lotus has a tendancy to try to cover the surface, which had put me off before, but I don't know if that's right.

Can keep lotus trimmed back and it will not invade the surface too much.
Have had success with various aponogeton in low light, but some are seasonal and appear to go dormant after a time.

Echinodorous uraguayensus is really nice mate, grows quite high and has broader leaves than Balansai. I've got a mother plant which has produced a flower stem with some plantlets on which your more than welcome to one or two if you like. Lovely plant too. Throws out occasional red leaves too

Alastair said:
Echinodorous uraguayensus is really nice mate, grows quite high and has broader leaves than Balansai. I've got a mother plant which has produced a flower stem with some plantlets on which your more than welcome to one or two if you like. Lovely plant too. Throws out occasional red leaves too

Yes,,after googling,,this plant seems to fit the bill. :thumbup:

Alastair - stop being to ****** generous!!! ;)

Having looked at this ...
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=3629
... the uraguayensus doesn't look that much broader than my Valis. Or is that picture not representative?
The Rubin looks a possible, but I can only find it at Tropica prices.
I'm wondering about Echinodorus Ozelot but I'm scheptical about the height. Any thoguts?

Still no thoughts on anything to replace the hair grass.

Ha ha right sod off then your not having any lol. That t pic of the uraguayensis is looking at the leaves side on mate they'reuch wider than that honestly. I have a big one in my Tank which is tropica and leaf width is easily 30mm width mate.

Ocelot has thick leaves I also have those and they must be about 30cm high at present.

E. tennelus would be perfect to replace your hairgrass mate.

Back