• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Recording my journey, although it's pre-school compared to the talents on here!

PiddleMouse

As some of you know from my intro, this is quite a project for me. It has given me something to focus on, and an achievable goal. I love being creative, and although I've never excelled at anything, I've produced some pretty nice things in the past. Because of the onset of Huntingtons disease, practically all of the crafts I used to love are now almost impossible for me to do, but this, THIS is something creative that I can do :) I really have no skills in this department, but I am watching, and reading, and picking up ideas that I can use and do by myself, and hopefully, at the end, I will have the nicest aquarium set up I've ever had.
The technical/scientific/highly skilled qualities that are clearly displayed in many of your journals and scapes are beyond me, but I am realising that I am capable of producing something quite beyond my cluttered, plastic planted delusions of grandeur that I used to call an 'aquascape' :D
My mistakes already are becoming clear to me! I bought my plants yesterday, I have nowhere to put them yet! I don't even know what my plants are (aside from the two moss balls... I'd slap my own legs if I didn't know what they were :D )
I do know that although I want it to be pleasing to look at, I also have to keep it fairly simple as this is going to be my axolotl's (Mavis) new home. It can't be cluttered, it can't be brightly illuminated. If anyone can recommend some soft and gentle lighting however, please do. I've only seen the rather brilliant lights, and they would upset and stress Mavis. Perhaps this is where the soft coloured lighting my be good, far less glare.
My main reason for doing the journal is so I can have something to look back on and learn from, especially regarding the mistakes. Plus, it will keep me focused on creating something that I can, hopefully, stand back and look at one day and say ''I'm proud of that!'' It's been a while since I have been able to say that!
So, that's the story behind my journal, and also the reason I am here. Because I really do believe that being here amongst you people will help me get there more than anything else could.
And so, the baby steps begin!

Hey dont worry, We all have things in our lives that prevent daily Stuff.
I have Chronic Vertigo, Sciatica, Arthritis, Severe IBS, Anxiety, Social Anxiety and the list goes on.
And this is why I love Aquascaping and Fish Keeping. It is a release for me to use my artistic skills, That I can no Longer do in some respects. And I love how you can control the Entire aspects of the hobby.
When you mention lighting, there are alot of LED lights that you can dim now. Sometimes i find the bright lights difficult, so like that I can change them in intesity.

Plants, just abucket of water will do for now untill you are ready to scape the tank. Take some pix and post them on here, and we will be able to advise you on what you have brought and how best to use them in the tank.

I started out as most kids with goldies from the fair. And as I grew the hobby grew with me. I love hoe plants grow and experimenting with how things grow, and what you can achieve from them.
This is a hobby that has no limitations to your imagination. And there are always new things being developed to enhance the hobby.
And it all stems from people who enjoy and want it to grow.

Hey dont worry, We all have things in our lives that prevent daily Stuff.
I have Chronic Vertigo, Sciatica, Arthritis, Severe IBS, Anxiety, Social Anxiety and the list goes on.
And this is why I love Aquascaping and Fish Keeping. It is a release for me to use my artistic skills, That I can no Longer do in some respects. And I love how you can control the Entire aspects of the hobby.
When you mention lighting, there are alot of LED lights that you can dim now. Sometimes i find the bright lights difficult, so like that I can change them in intesity.

Plants, just abucket of water will do for now untill you are ready to scape the tank. Take some pix and post them on here, and we will be able to advise you on what you have brought and how best to use them in the tank.

I started out as most kids with goldies from the fair. And as I grew the hobby grew with me. I love hoe plants grow and experimenting with how things grow, and what you can achieve from them.
This is a hobby that has no limitations to your imagination. And there are always new things being developed to enhance the hobby.
And it all stems from people who enjoy and want it to grow.

Thank you so much Gill! Nice to meet a like-minded person who also sees the ending of one way of life as an exciting opening to a new way of life :wave: The dimmable lights sound like a plan! I will take and upload pics of my plants shortly and pop them on here, just need to go and get some supplies for my sanctuary animals - nothing lasts 2 minutes here with this lot lol :D
yes, my first fish was a fairground prize too! I was an adult but still eons ago. Me and my then hubby adored him, and with the help of the vet (yes, our humble goldfish had a vet, we took him in a jar when he started growing 'feathers' ;) AKA fungus!) and also the local library we began to learn how to care for him properly, or at least 'properly' for the day back then. He lived for years, and even my hubby (a hardened, tough guy in many respects, but with a genuine good heart) was devastated to the point of tears when he swam from this mortal coil and on to pastures new. There were no aquascapes and superb forms of learning and education back then like there are now though!

No Worries.
I can no longer draw or paint or sculpt how i used to be able to, could sit happily for days working on a piece. Don't mind it too much as this is another way to draw and sculpt.

Oh Yes, I do remember researching stuff in the library. And finding a library with a decent selection of books on fish keeping was always a buzz. Back in the day, when most tanks were under gravel filtered and there were not many plants to choose from.

Hi and the best of luck to you...this is a wonderful hobby and very rewarding too....i have had some disasters in my limited time into planted tanks and just getting over a bout of Nasty brown stuff in my 1 and only tank!...but its not looking very nice now and how fantastic !
It’s great to have you along for the adventure...
Cheers
Chris

Well everyone, thank goodness I have such lovely encouragement! Gives me all the boost I need to start over..
Which in itself should tell you something... :lol:
Rather than post a load of pics, I threw stage 1 of my journey through the watery land in to a little video clip :D
Part 2 to commence shortly :thumbup:

I have seen on one of the facebook axolotl groups that a lot of people are using artificial grass as a base. Long term users seeing no ill effects! So, I have ordered some online, pet friendly and iron and something else free (sorry for the vagueness, brain running on 10watt light bulb power today instead of it's normal 15 watt ;) )
Am absolutely determined to do this though! My plants will still be used in the setup. The hash up of my first attempt has served only to encourage me more :thumbup:

Hi all, sorry to leave it so long, been sorting a lot of problems/concerns out and it kind of occupied me above all else. (Only niggles, and bits of this and that, but stuff that wouldn't sort itself out :) )
Anyway, here's some pics of my new attempt regarding this journal/journey! I haven't got very far, but it's moving in the right direction... Hopefully :D
new setup1.jpg
new setup2.jpg
new setup3.jpg
new setup4.jpg
new setup5.jpg
new setup6.jpg

As you can see, I'm faffing around deciding where to put stuff!
I always faff! I need an anti-faff tablet. Daily! :D

Back