• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Recycled - 100cm done on the cheap

Aeropars

Hi all,

I've been away for a while and having moved house I've been told that I've got to wait for a few months until I can get my TMC signature :(

With that in mind, I've a load of stuff which I'm using for this set-up and I'm using my Juwel Rio 180 which I've re-painted to match the living room. What I'm using for this is not yet decided other than I have the 2 x T8 tubes as standard on this tank which I want to use with reflectors.

Substrate I've used cat litter / molar clay and having read threads on here I expected to smell a perfume on this but the stuff I got from Tesco is odorless. I plan on using a fire extinguisher for CO2 but undecided on the diffuser along with my Eheim Pro 3 2080. I also have a Koralia if needs be.

So... here's what I did today in about 20 minutes. I'm not happy with it but not unhappy either.

Love to hear what you think about this and would love some plant suggestions and any other hardware you think might be favorable.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5005/13822015634_d5fab597e0.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7402/13821683913_43dbe4a272.jpg

"https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3747/13822011674_0e7fc35955.jpg

Scape looks good, but you may lose some of the rocks especially on the right hand side when the plants grow in, depending on what you use.
Also, the tesco cat litter really needs a good washing as it's really dusty and will cloud your tank for weeks otherwise.

Thanks for the reply. I had read about the dust however this stuff I have is not excessively dusty, no more than what any other hard substrate I have used has been. Either way, I don't see it being anything some good mechanical filtering won't get rid of.

As for plant selection... not given that a thought. Not a fan of stems though. I find the maintenance a chore. Not a fan of mosses either but not sure this layout would lend itself to any mosses anyhow.

Like it a lot mate, eleocharis mini background and micranthemum Monte Carlo foreground and through the center would be my plant choice, hardly any need to trim those two regularly, then I'd probably get bored and dot a few crypts here and there :) I have to say though I think Claire's spot on with the dust issue, also the perfume smell will come when it's wet ime, put your mind and ours at ease chuck some in a glass and fill with water, if it doesn't cloud or smell please post the location of the tescos you used, I'll be there like a shot ;)

Thanks for the input. I'll give them plants a look up!

I actually already did that in a glass and it really wasnt bad at all. OK, nothing like the ADA aquasoil but in a glass it cleared after about 4 hours and didn't smell either. Of course, I may eat my own words when I finally stick some water in it!

Given the light i am using and the size of the tank, do you think them plants will thrive?

Back