• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Red Eleocharis ID

gmartins

Hey,

I went help some colleagues setting up an experiment on the lakes here in the Azores and brought with me a little bit of a plant that we found but we were not able to id. It is very similar to Eleocharis vivipara but gets a red tinge towards the upper part of the plant. See photos below. Also collected a little bit of Littorella uniflora :)

There is loads more. I need to go snorkeling there. Most lakes are pretty much degraded due to manure in the vicinity which runs off into the lakes when it rains. But this one had cristal clear water. Very low salinity, high altitude and quite shallow (8 m depth maximum). Soil is mostly pumice with organic material. It looked like a seagrass praire.

fotoplantalagoarasa3.jpg

Detail of the red part
fotoplantalagoarasa2.jpg

Littorela uniflora
fotoplantalagoarasa1.jpg

It's already in ;) as can be seen in the first pic.

PS: Os açores ainda ficam ricos com eleocharis vermelhas ;)

No they are not. Sorry! I don't think they would get well to UK. It should take more than one week to get there from the Azores...

I've recently acquired something looks identical to this red hairgrass, no ideas on an ID for it? It certainly LOOKS like an Eleocharis species.

Back