• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Red Lights. Do they actually help?

avpfre

I've tried searching for info about led lights that also have the 660nm red channel, but everything I could find related to aquatic plants was quite vague and contradictory. One article was saying that they reduce algae, another that they might help algae grow. Do you guys have any experience with those, do they make any difference whatsoever? On the product page (aliexpress 😂) they say it is a "growth light" function but I guess nobody trusts that.

It is this in any case.

I highly recommend the videos with Dr Bruce Bugbee. They dont deal specifically with light below water, but they are incredibly educational and in depth about light spectrum, plant response, and everything you would want to know about light.
Photobiology Simplified
Toward an Optimal Spectral Quality for Plant Growth and Development
(Somewhat more optional: Turning Photons Into Food )
Far-red: The Forgotten Photons
Predicting Stem Elongation and Leaf Expansion: Percent far-red is a better predictor than PPE
House Plant Light Reviews

Extra Credits:
How Ultraviolet Radiation Affects Plants with Dr. Bruce Bugbee

What you would need to do to apply this knowledge to aquatic plants, is to find information about how the wavelengths penetrate water and how deep they go (this differs).
I would also keep in mind what depth most of our aquarium plants are found at (its usually not terribly deep), Christel Kasselmann's book has some data on this I believe.

For good measure ill tag @oreo57 here as well, if anyone knows about this it would be them :)

I think its likely that the aquaristic side of light is still not very well understood, seeing as there have been such huge advancements in understanding in terrestrial plants in recent years.
Our hobby lags behind quite a lot, simply because compared to large commercial plant growers, the money involved in our little niche of a hobby is pennies compared to the millions at stake there.
My guess is that we can only guesstimate how and what applies to our use, and last but not least we should keep in mind that a 1% increase in growth rate in a planted tank is almost meaningless, while a 1% increase in growth rate at a huge commercial setup could mean thousands of dollars more in profit.

A short answer would be yes, plants use 660nm wavelength. Is it absolutely necessary, probably not. But my question to you would be why that light, what made you choose that light and not a different one, at that price you can get something way better. Something from a trusted manufacturer that is used by many in this hobby. I would say that a Fluval Plant 3.0 is close to that price and I am sure the quality is much better, and is also proven by many to be a very good light for growing plants in the aquarium. And you get bluetooth control of the light from your smart phone, being able to control the spectrum and perfect sunrise and sunset, if you want to. I think you should check the Fluval Plant, lots of videos on Youtube if you want to see what it is about.

I use the Fluval on my planted tank and on my terrarium, so I can say it grows aquatic plants just as well as terrestrial plants.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Sorry, can't really help with how it would translate to aquarium plants, but in terrestrial growing, they use different grow light spectrums/colours at different stages of growth and fruiting to increase yield etc.
A more ...err .. practical look at lighting.

Keep in mind for aquatics the world is a bit backward.
Lack of or lower red/ir means low light. The opposite of terrestrials.
Also most aquatic plants are best classified as low light plants. Crops...not so much.
660 nm red adds really a lot of color punch.

Lighting Requirements for a Planted Aquarium
There’s a secret rule of thumb we can share with you. Experts believe you should let red lights take at least 50% of your spectrum, while blue lights shouldn’t exceed 15%

Thank you guys for your answers!
in terrestrial growing, they use different grow light spectrums/colours at different stages of growth and fruiting to increase yield etc.
I mean, as most aquarium plants can grow emersed I guess they should have some similarities, the only difference being the way in which water affects the light.

@Hufsa thank you very much for the sources. I'll munch on them as soon as I get back from work.

I think its likely that the aquaristic side of light is still not very well understood, seeing as there have been such huge advancements in understanding in terrestrial plants in recent years.
Our hobby lags behind quite a lot, simply because compared to large commercial plant growers, the money involved in our little niche of a hobby is pennies compared to the millions at stake there.

I guess that leaves a lot of room for us to experiment :)). I might try to do a small experiment once I get through the material that you've provided me with.

But my question to you would be why that light, what made you choose that light and not a different one, at that price you can get something way better. Something from a trusted manufacturer that is used by many in this hobby.

There's no way on earth I would pay that much for a thing on aliexpress 🤣. In fact, I stumbled upon the light on a local secondhand website and I bought it for 30 euros from a guy that has killed all his livestock by forgetting the co2 on overnight and wanted to just get rid of everything (I think he was traumatized, poor guy). As the light fits perfectly on top of my two tanks (and is quite strong), I told myself why not.

@oreo57 thank you very much for the sources!

To be honest this kinda motivated me to try a little experiment which I will probably document here. I think it would be interesting to set up two tanks with the same parameters, except for the light, and see what happens.

Back