• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Redoing substrate... sand on top of gravel

P1030270.jpeg

Yep, I linked to it in my previous post ;)
Thanks... I like it.... btw. nope that link of yours just took me to the first page of your journal. .. maybe a browser or forum software issue. ;)

I like the look if it for sure. Wow, thats a thick layer... What's that black sediment in the middle front?

I am worried - perhaps too worried - that grain sizes in 1 mm range just wont provide enough space for nutrient distribution. Granted with the current 3-5 mm gravel I went with when setting up the tank back in the day is unnecessarily coarse... I guess I just have to take the plunge and see how it goes. Thanks guys!

I am patching in @dw1305 ... Do you have an opinion on this Darrel?

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Hi all,
I like the look if it for sure. Wow, thats a thick layer...
I am patching in @dw1305 ... Do you have an opinion on this Darrel?
I think it is fine with <"plenty of plant root growth">. I would be slightly wary of replanting plants, but I don't personally ever break the tanks down or disturb the substrate, and I always have Malaysian Trumpet Snails (Melanoides tuberculata).

You may get anoxic layers, but I'm not sure it really matters. As I've gone to using <"slower and slower growing plants"> I've used thinner and thinner (and more sand based) substrates.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
The dark patch is soil and some algae – I meant to leave more sand at the front. It was when I was cleaning that that the grid rode up. The sand is fine to plant in and this tank does well for plants. You can always add in some root tabs?

Back