• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Relocating plants when using Tropica substrate/similar

ChrisP

Quick question here, I use Tropica aquarium substrate with gravel on top and was just relocating a few plants. Obviously when you gently pull the plants out the root inevitably pulls up some of the Tropica substrate that the root system has latched on to. I don't like the substrate coming up, mixing with the water etc. What is the best way to do this? I was thinking of just using my scissors to cut the root out as deep as possible and leaving the rest down there. Bad idea?

Quick question here, I use Tropica aquarium substrate with gravel on top and was just relocating a few plants. Obviously when you gently pull the plants out the root inevitably pulls up some of the Tropica substrate that the root system has latched on to. I don't like the substrate coming up, mixing with the water etc. What is the best way to do this? I was thinking of just using my scissors to cut the root out as deep as possible and leaving the rest down there. Bad idea?

I try to gently pull the plant up, but you're right; it's a ball ache, things got very, very murky when I started re-arranging my scape the last time I used tropica plant substrate.

I just have the syphon right next to plants I'm pulling up - turn filter down as well - & most dust goes straight into the syphon tube ... tanks gets a little cloudy perhaps but soon clears.

You can also just trim the roots as you begin to lift the plant.

You can pull up a little and snip the roots as low down as possible. I always trim long roots prior to replanting anyway, not only does it make re-planting easier but it encourages new root growth.
Also I use a soil retainer between the soil layer and the cap, it prevents disturbance when rescaping https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gardman-Greenhouse-Shading-Material-1-2m/dp/B00AV6UQW0
soilretainerwithgravelinsert_zps2ae48225-jpg.50576.jpg

You can pull up a little and snip the roots as low down as possible. I always trim long roots prior to replanting anyway, not only does it make re-planting easier but it encourages new root growth.
Also I use a soil retainer between the soil layer and the cap, it prevents disturbance when rescaping https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gardman-Greenhouse-Shading-Material-1-2m/dp/B00AV6UQW0
soilretainerwithgravelinsert_zps2ae48225-jpg.50576.jpg

That's a very cool tank and decor in your pic there, can I ask the size please?

Thanks for the replies people. Ooh I wish I had seen that netting before, bit too late now though :D

Back